Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,058   Posts: 1,561,571   Online: 680

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

Buying a Jupiter-9 from LZOS

After a few weeks of pondering and searching, I've decided that a J9 would be my gift to myself for finishing my first MA year of university, and so I've been looking around classifieds and auctions.

Eventually I found out that J9 are still manufactured by the LZOS plant in Russia, and that the price of a new one, including shipping to Canada, wasn't much different from buying used from the various Russian eBay sellers. It looks like those digital toys have kept the prices up, so I am thinking: isn't this safer than to risk getting a turkey?

Or is it? I found an old post by Zhenya saying that this plant was a place where the left hand didn't know what the right hand was doing, and it stopped me for a while. That and the fact that LZOS takes only Western Union transfers or e-gold.

So how is the quality on the new J9 coming from the LZOS plant? How good is their customer service when buying direct? How reliable are they?
    Using film since before it was hip.

"One of the most singular characters of the hyposulphites, is the property their solutions possess of dissolving muriate of silver and retaining it in considerable quantity in permanent solution" — Sir John Frederick William Herschel, "On the Hyposulphurous Acid and its Compounds." The Edinburgh Philosophical Journal, Vol. 1 (8 Jan. 1819): 8-29. p. 11

My APUG Portfolio

Shooter
    35mm
    What mount do you want? RuGift is a Russian mail-order outfit that sells the Jupiter 9 in several mounts, including M42, Canon EOS, and Nikon. I don't see any listings for LTM39-mount lenses, though, if that's what you want. Still, you could try e-mailing them; if they're still produced in LTM39 mount, RuGift might be able to get one for you.

I've dealt with RuGift before and they seem to be reliable, albeit slow -- shipping to the US takes about a month, and I imagine it'd be similar to Canada. This can be frustrating if you need to return something, but they do process the returns promptly, within the limits of the mail delays. They accept credit cards, PayPal, and various other payment types.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I'm looking for M42 mount to use on my Spotmatic, and gave a look at Rugift. My only qualm with them was that it cost me an extra 40 CDN$ to buy from them, and that's a saving I wouldn't mind doing.

"One of the most singular characters of the hyposulphites, is the property their solutions possess of dissolving muriate of silver and retaining it in considerable quantity in permanent solution" — Sir John Frederick William Herschel, "On the Hyposulphurous Acid and its Compounds." The Edinburgh Philosophical Journal, Vol. 1 (8 Jan. 1819): 8-29. p. 11

My APUG Portfolio

Shooter
    Multi Format
    How much does LZOS charge for shipping?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I've looked at RUGift and it looks to me like a very pricey middleman/broker type operation.

I have also attempted to deal directly with LZOS in the past - good luck!!

The LZOS (and other) Jupiter 9 (f2 85mm) lenses in 42mm mount occasionally show up on eBay. I have a multicoated example (in new condition) that I bought 2-3 years ago. I have used it on my new Voigtlander/Cosina Bessaflex - it works fine.

I would suggest that you also take a look at the new M42 mount SL series Voigtlander lenses on http://www.cameraquest.com

90/3.5 APO Lanthar, 125/2.5 APO Lanthar, 75/2.5 Color Heliar
    Tom Hoskinson

Everything is analog - even digital :D

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Nick Zentena
    How much does LZOS charge for shipping?
    From their quote:

Unit price of Jupiter-9 lens is US $67.50;

Delivery to Canada through International Air Mail + insurance to your postal address + customs clearance fees is US $26.00.

Discount for Western Union payment mean choose is US $10.00.

Thus total cost for payment is US $83.50.

My APUG Portfolio

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Tom Hoskinson
    I have also attempted to deal directly with LZOS in the past - good luck!!
    Can you detail your experience a bit? Was it awful or just slow?

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Hoskinson
    I would suggest that you also take a look at the new M42 mount SL series Voigtlander lenses on http://www.cameraquest.com
    90/3.5 APO-Lanthar: $295, hood $39. Ouch! I'd rather spend that money on a nice MF set like a Mamiya TLR.

My APUG Portfolio

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by mhv
    From their quote:

Thus total cost for payment is US $83.50.

Plus whatever Western Union charges you for the payment. So close to $90US.

DBP

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I'd go with one of the better dealers on the auction site. I've had escpecially good results with alex-photo and grizzly33bear, and have heard good things about Fedka.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Michel,

I purchased a Jupiter 9 in a Kiev/contax mount off Ebay from Surovov_v with his ebay store Cameras from Russia and I have been happy with the lens. I am curious how to try out an M-42 version as I have 5 M-42 Pentaxes and I don't feel like paying close to $500 us for a 85 f1.8 Takumar.

Bill
    (a former Montrealer)
    "Life moves pretty fast, if you don't stop and look around once and a while, you might just miss it."
    Ferris Bueller

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin