Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,300   Posts: 1,536,000   Online: 1001

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Peter is quite right and the answers to this thread would indicate that people have their own favourites. Lens testing is a difficult and time consuming exercise so I will go with Jim and dust off my 3.5 micro- nikkor!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Originally Posted by bobfowler
    I would say that the Pentax SMC 50mm f/1.4 (the screw mount version) is the top of the heap of all the 50's I've used ...

This long forgotten chunk of coke bottle stands on the summit, pretty much alone in my mind. Yes, I mean the screwmount!

Charlie.......................................

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    I'm always on the lookout for a cheap 1.4 minolta md, but my 1.7 is just about the cat's me . . .uh, never mind.
    Thank you.
    CWalrath
    APUG BLIND PRINT EXCHANGE
    DE Darkroom

"Wubba, wubba, wubba. Bing, bang, bong. Yuck, yuck, yuck and a fiddle-dee-dee." - The Yeti

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Not Cheap, not Inexpensive - just very, very good! The Zeiss ZF 50/1.4 Planar.

See: http://www.apug.org/forums/showthrea...869#post295869
    Tom Hoskinson

Everything is analog - even digital :D

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Tom Hoskinson
    Not Cheap, not Inexpensive - just very, very good! The Zeiss ZF 50/1.4 Planar.

See: http://www.apug.org/forums/showthrea...869#post295869

Still, given the optical excellence and high speed, any 50 is a bargain compared to anything that good or that fast from a comparible manufacturer!
    Perhaps my mind will change - but for now, a 50 is on my SLR's probably 75% of the time: even if the length is not ideal, I have a 50mm f1.4 - anything else that says 1.4 on it is probably more expensive than my whole SLR kit put together!
    Well, a bit off topic, but I love my 50's!

Peter.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    55 2.8 micro nikkor does it for me. I bought it new, finally last week I had it serviced after about 20+ years of quite hard work. The iris blades were sticking after a shoot in the sun for a couple of hours when the temp was at 43ºC in the shade. Apparently these early versions were assembled with animal based lubricant, whatever that means. The later and current lenses are apparently lubricated with synthetic (?) modern stuff that doesn't wither in excess heat.

I once had to copy 5,000 odd slides in a short time frame, really what the lens was designed for. On top of that it was my lens for about 85% of all my picture taking for the first ten years of ownership, before I started to gather an array of nikon & sigma glass.

I also have a nikkor 1.8, which is faster, but doesn't cut the ice as far as edge to edge goes.

Mick.
    Last edited by Mick Fagan; 04-30-2006 at 03:12 AM. Click to view previous post history. Reason: Spelling

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Hi
    I'm voting for my Micro Nikkor f 2.8 60mm it blows my 50mm 1.4 away re sharpness and this is proven by 2 german mags MTFs and not only my dreaming eyes!
    If I want the ultimate sharpness its the Micro if I need the speed its the 1.4 50mm wich I very seldom is in use since I have a fast 28mm f 1.8!
    All is subjektive but not the MTFs.
    Armin
    Good light and nice shadows!

www.artfoto.ch

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Voigtlander 50/2 Ultron for me on the Vitessa L, but they also made it for the Prominent.
    flickr--http://www.flickr.com/photos/davidagoldfarb/
    Photography (not as up to date as the flickr site)--http://www.davidagoldfarb.com/photo
    Academic (Slavic and Comparative Literature)--http://www.davidagoldfarb.com

Shooter
    Large Format
    Did I miss something? I don't think I saw a single mention of the venerable Dual Range Summicron from the late 50's through '60's. I always found it to be far superior to any other 50 I worked with in the days when I was still shooting 35mm. The glass on the modern Contaxc G's also came close but I would gowith the Summicron.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Being new to the world of photography, I went with the Canon 50 f1.4 as I'm shooting EOS and this was the recommended normal lens. I have mixed experiences with it (having trouble with auto focus, and can't fine-tune because there is no split circle on my focusing screen), but it seems generally like a nice sharp lens. I've used it with most difficulty stopped to f/22, which apparently will cause a lens to soft-focus and at widest apperature in low light where it has trouble with autofocus. Does *anybody* out there consider this lens to be top 50, or is it simply the best I can do with my camera?

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin