Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,963   Posts: 1,558,388   Online: 823

Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I have been really happy with the following 50's in my amateur Photography career:
    Nikkor f1.5 f2,
    Zuiko F1.8
    M42- Takumar F50 1.4
    Leica Summicron Collapsable f2
    Canon LTM 50 f1.4
    Carl Zeiss Jenna Sonnar F2
    Jupiter 8 (kiev)

There you go, I did not put in the 55 Takumars as they are, well 5mm off the mark but they are some of my favourites.

Bill
    "Life moves pretty fast, if you don't stop and look around once and a while, you might just miss it."
    Ferris Bueller

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Bentley Boyd
    I don't know which is the absolute "best" 50mm standard lens Tony, I'm very happy with with my Canon FDn 50mm f1.4, most of the major marque manufacturers make excellent flagship lenses of this focal length, the lens I have is the best because it fits my cameras.
    OFF WITH HIS HEAD!

How dare you assault the majesty of this thread with your simplistic opinions!
    If, and its a big IF, you are allowed to live in the light of this blunder, you are to leave at once and not return unless you have at least 50 different 50mm lenses tested, your findings backed with mind boggling mdf charts and lines per mm, colour rendition and contrast at variations so minute as to not be distiguishible by the human eye!!! Also, try to have early, middle of the run and late examples of each lens if you really want to be taken seriously.

just my sense of humour of course... please don't shoot

Peter.

PS However, feel free to verbally abuse me for the pre-teen levels of emoticon abuse. That I deserve...

T42

Shooter
    35mm
    Hello Bill and Forum.

I have a similar experience. I am of the view that most popular brand name 50 primes are good. I don't count bricks, so my sentiments are not based on any absolute science, nor on MTF charts, but just on what I think I see in the images I have made.

I have these:

CZJ Tessar 50mm f/2.8 single coated (1951?)
    Summicron Collapsable 50mm f/2 (1954)
    Nikkor 50mm f/2, (1960's)
    M42 - Yashinon 50mm f/1.7 (1967)
    Jupiter 8 (Soviet Sonnar) (1969)
    Nikkor 50mm f1.4 (1970's)
    Rokkor 50mm f/1.7 (1980's)

For most applications, I would about as soon shoot with the cheap Jupiter 8 as with the costly Summicron. Any of the listed lenses is up to the task for normal shooting. I don't have a favorite.

Henry

Shooter
    Multi Format
    No this ain't about D****** it's one of the early "Sunday Morning Photographer" articles.

http://luminous-landscape.com/columns/sm-02-09-22.shtml

Cheers, Søren
    Send from my Electronic Data Management Device using TWOFingerTexting

Technology distinquishable from magic is insufficiently developed

Søren Nielsen
    Denmark

Ole
    Shooter
    Large Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Anyone tried an Industar-61 L/D? I have, and I was surprised!
    -- Ole Tjugen, Luddite Elitist
    Norway

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by gnashings
    OFF WITH HIS HEAD!

How dare you assault the majesty of this thread with your simplistic opinions!
    If, and its a big IF, you are allowed to live in the light of this blunder, you are to leave at once and not return unless you have at least 50 different 50mm lenses tested, your findings backed with mind boggling mdf charts and lines per mm, colour rendition and contrast at variations so minute as to not be distiguishible by the human eye!!! Also, try to have early, middle of the run and late examples of each lens if you really want to be taken seriously.

just my sense of humour of course... please don't shoot

Peter.

PS However, feel free to verbally abuse me for the pre-teen levels of emoticon abuse. That I deserve...
    Hi' Peter, if being abused to pre-teen levels turns you on " I hope your rabbit dies, and you can't sell the hutch " . Life's too short mate, I prefer to spend whatever time and money I have available to learn more about how to improve my photograpy, not my M.T.F curves, or micro-negative image contrast. I use Canon F.D. lenses and rely on their knowledge and expertise in lens manufacture.
    Best Wishes.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I have used quite a mixed bag of 50's over the years too. My favs are my 1.4 SMC Takumar, industar 61 and the 50/f2 Xenon on my Retina IIIc (now there's a lens no-one has mentioned yet).
    Rick Jason.
    "I'm still developing"

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images
    I would vote for all the Tessar design lenses, Tessar, Elmar and Industar.
    Late "Red scale" Elmar is one of favorites, but very early uncoated Nickel Elmar also makes nice B&W photos.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I think I like most of the 50s I have, Nkkors, Takumars, Rokkors, Tessars, etc.
    but the Super Takumar 55/1.8 is the one i love the most.
    Mama took my APX away.....

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Bentley Boyd
    Hi' Peter, if being abused to pre-teen levels turns you on " I hope your rabbit dies, and you can't sell the hutch " . Life's too short mate, I prefer to spend whatever time and money I have available to learn more about how to improve my photograpy, not my M.T.F curves, or micro-negative image contrast. I use Canon F.D. lenses and rely on their knowledge and expertise in lens manufacture.
    Best Wishes.
    Not my rabbit!!!!
    I am glad someone does those tests... but I think that the engineers at Canon probably have a pretty good handle on that end of it - so I am with you here, in case anyone didn't get that out of my previous (admittedly smart-assed and sarcastic) post. Oh, one more thing: I had a 50mm SSC 1.4, it was stolen. Now I have the 50mm 1.4 nFD. I like the feel of the old lens better, but optically, I'll be damned if I can tell the difference... I can tell the difference between those and my 1.8, but only under certain very specific conditions. 99 times out of a hundred its better than I am.
    And I am in an anonymous program in order to control my use of smiley faces in what I type... lest I become a teen-age girl.

Peter.

Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin