Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 68,687   Posts: 1,482,351   Online: 812

Page 1 of 7 1234567 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

The best 50 ever?

Trolling through the various discussions I'm always interested in peoples thoughts on the quality of lenses, particularly the so called standard 50mm. So which do you consider to be the best of the best? The Leitz summicron or f2 planar from the Contarex spring to mind. Maybe a f2 Nikkor or 1.4 Takumar take your fancy, love to hear your thoughts.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    In my experience the zuiko 50mm 1.4 is quite tasty...

-----------My Flickr-----------
    Anáil nathrach, ortha bháis is beatha, do chéal déanaimh.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    As far as 50mm lenses go, you could not pry my Minolta 50mm f/1.7 and f/1.4 from my dead hands, they are going to be buried with me! I think the whole term "Best" is subjective at Best!

Dave

Shooter
    Multi Format
    There are a lot of good 50s on the market. However, the Nikkor 50/2 (any version, even the old Nikkor-H with the single coating - I've not tried the older Nikkor-S with seven elements though) is an excellent lens. So too is the AF 50/1.8 Nikkor. I never used a Planar but just about all of them are good.

One un-obvious choice is the 50/2 Pentax. The 1.7 is just as good. Pentax shooters should definitely own one of these lenses.

I have the 50/2 AI Nikkor and an AF Nikkor 50/1.4D and am happy with both, but the 2 is a hair better than the 1.4. The 50/2 Jupiter-8 Russian lens is pretty nice too, but in a different way...

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Great to see a Russian lens in there! Sure is a very subjective thing and I know that there will be heaps of different answers. I have my own personal favourite and it's a bit left field- let you know later. I may even have a new favourite by then!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Ps. The Prakticar Pentacon 50mm 1.8 is a damn fine lens too.

-----------My Flickr-----------
    Anáil nathrach, ortha bháis is beatha, do chéal déanaimh.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I'm fond of my Summar f-2 col. It is not a lens for every occasion but within the area that an uncoated lens may work in it is a very sharp lens. Stopped down it produces the tack sharp images associated with Leica and when opened up it blurs the background in a pleasing (to my eye) manner. I also have one of the f 1.7 Minolta 50mm's (md) and agree that it is very good.
    http://www.apug.org/gallery/showgallery.php?cat=500&ppuser=10716
    http://home.comcast.net/~rem700a/westviews.html

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Can 55mm qualify? I love my zuiko 55mm f1.2. Not only does it perform very well, I like how its focal length matches my eye's perpective more than any other lens I have. Its definitely a keeper.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    The MC 50mm/1.8 CZJ Pancolar should also be included and the new Zeiss M 50/2 Planar as well.
    Tom Hoskinson

Everything is analog - even digital :D

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Satinsnow
    "... you could not pry my Minolta 50mm f/1.7 and f/1.4 from my dead hands, they are going to be buried with me...!"
    LOL! I agree. That Rokkor glass is some good stuff. The f/1.2 is a monster, too!

Page 1 of 7 1234567 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin