Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,963   Posts: 1,523,262   Online: 1011

Shooter
    35mm RF

Bag for Nikon FG and lenses

Friends:

I am headed to Costa Rica for two weeks at the end of May. I have a Nikon FG and several E series lenses that I want to take with me. The town that I live in does not have a camera shop with camera bags. So, I've been driving myself nuts reading posts and visiting mfg. websites. I need some suggestions for low profile bag to hold the FG, a 28, 50 and an 85, along with film, an HP R707 (digi point and shoot) and other basics. I am thinking shoulder bag. We will be traveling by vehicle all over the country from the Caribbean, to Arenal, to the Pacific beaches. I will be walking around in San Jose and some small towns, visiting the beaches and an occasional easy hike.
    Also, based on my last trip, jumping out of the truck to take the occasional "must have shot".
    Thanks for any suggestions.

Bill

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Check out the Tamrac 622 at http://www.adorama.com/TR622BK.html I recently purchased one of these and have found it to be excellent in design and quality. For a backpack, Tamrac makes the 777 which is also among the best that you can find anywhere. These products carry a five year warranty and are made in the U.S.A.
    "A certain amount of contempt for the material employed to express an idea is indispensable to the purest realization of this idea." Man Ray

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    I have one of these.

I can fit an SLR body with lens mounted, plus two other smallish lenses and a Nikkor 80-200 f/2.8 (which is not small!) in the lower compartment, and still space for a few bits and pieces in the top section. Not the most comfortable rucksack I've ever owned, but I've had no problems with 5+ mile walks with the bag fully laden. Fairly well padded and splash resistant. Main down side for me is speed of access. Like all rucksacks, it needs to be unstrapped, taken off and put down on a solid surface before taking camera out or changing lenses.

Ian

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Thanks for the suggestion, it looks interesting. My only concern is that after I read your post I did a bit of a search and noticed several people said that it is not very water resistant. That concerns me since I am going to Costa Rica at the start of the so-called rainy season. Have you had any experience with your bag in the rain?
    Thanks again.
    bill

Shooter
    Multi Format
    wsriii,
    A great bag would be the Lowepro reporter series. They offer easy access through a zipper top with the bag closed and a waterproof cover built into the bag I'd look at the 200 & 300 models. The 300 would probably be most useful for your setup.
    Heavily sedated for your protection.

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by wsriii
    Thanks for the suggestion, it looks interesting. My only concern is that after I read your post I did a bit of a search and noticed several people said that it is not very water resistant. That concerns me since I am going to Costa Rica at the start of the so-called rainy season. Have you had any experience with your bag in the rain?
    Thanks again.
    bill
    I would call it water-resistant, not water-proof. Never been out in the rain, but it's had a few beers spilled on it in clubs and as long as the liquid is shaken off before it's had a chance to soak in I've had no problems.

If I was going to be out in the rain I would buy a waterproof cover (which of course would hamper access to the contents), or consider a different bag.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Stan160
    "... I would call it water-resistant, not water-proof..."
    Aside from the waterproof cover you mentioned, I think that's about as good as one can hope for. Even a typical raincoat isn't waterproof—it's "merely" water resistant. Pretty sure you can buy aerosol cans of a fabric treatment that'll make any fabric bag more resistant. It's what the dry cleaners use to restore water repellency to raincoats.

FWIW, I've been out in the rain with my old Tamrac bag and it kept my gear dry.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Have you considered the Tamrac Velocity 9 shoulder bag? It will handle everything you've got. With it's one strap, it's off quickly for fast access to your gear. It seems reasonably priced to me.
    [COLOR=Blue]Jeff Bishop[/COLOR]

[COLOR=Red]It's all about light, and nothing else...[/COLOR]

[COLOR=Blue]Website:[/COLOR] [COLOR=Orange]http://snurl.com/64xi[/COLOR]

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin