Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,274   Posts: 1,534,611   Online: 1074

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images

Small m42 compatible SLR?

Hi,

My main SLR is currently an EOS-650 which I use with an eos-m42 adapter to mount my screwmount lenses -- a couple of Super Takumars (55 and 135mm) and some Chinon, Tamron and Soviet made lenses.

I'm generally happy with it but I'd like a second body and I'd like something small -- the EOS isn't that heavy but it's still pretty large.

I have two Chinon CS m42 SLRs which are excellent but they are fairly bulky and I'm planning to sell them and pick up something smaller with the proceeds.

So, what's a good SLR which will take m42 mount lenses and which is lightweight and small? Some kind of metering is good, aperture priority auto-exposure with the manual lenses is even better. I have no need for autofocus capability on the camera, I have that with EF mount lenses on the EOS.

Ideally, an adapter wouldn't be needed.

I have a little Pentax ME-F which is unfortunately faulty but which is a great size. Something that small would be brilliant.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Hi, You may wish to take a look at the Voigtlander Bessaflex SLR (made by Cosina).

http://www.robertwhite.co.uk/voigtlander.htm#LabelSLR

I bought one of these camera bodies to mount my large collection of 42mm thread mount lenses. I like the camera a lot. It has a very large, bright pentaprism and a very accurate (stop down) metering system.
    Tom Hoskinson

Everything is analog - even digital :D

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    The Spotmatic Electro have aperture priority, IIRC, but I think it depends on the use of SMC-takumar lenses, which have a special coupling pin to transmit aperture data to the body (give it a googling). Otherwise, I think you have to settle for stop-down metering.

All the other Spotmatic models are very small, nicely built cameras, with metering, flash synch, shutter delay action (except on the 500 and 1000 models). The best manual spottie is the F model, because you can do open-aperture metering on it with SMC taks.
    Using film since before it was hip.

"One of the most singular characters of the hyposulphites, is the property their solutions possess of dissolving muriate of silver and retaining it in considerable quantity in permanent solution" — Sir John Frederick William Herschel, "On the Hyposulphurous Acid and its Compounds." The Edinburgh Philosophical Journal, Vol. 1 (8 Jan. 1819): 8-29. p. 11

My APUG Portfolio

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Although you prefer not to use an adapter, a small K-mount body (the ME Super comes to mind) would make a great, tiny screw-mount body. Since most screw-mount bodies feature stop-down metering only, you wouldn't lose any functionality compared to a native screw-mount body. You'd also get the possibility of using K-mount lenses which are pretty interesting in their own right.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I would say after reading your requirements, check out the Pentax Spotmatic II or F. I have both and I am very happy with them.

Bill
    "Life moves pretty fast, if you don't stop and look around once and a while, you might just miss it."
    Ferris Bueller

DBP

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    The Fujica screwmounts are about the size of an OM-1 and should fit the bill. They are are also relatively unsought after, and therefore cheap.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    If you want small the best bet is the Pentax spotmatic, but if you want new then the obvious choice is the Voigt/ Cosina Bessaflex for all the reasons mentioned above by Tom.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    I definitely don't want new. Cheap is my main concern (after size).

I looked up the Fujicas and they look to be a similar size to the Pentax ME which is pretty tiny and a good 20mm smaller all round than my Chinon CS(s).

Thanks for all recommendations. I've always liked the look of the Olympus OMs -- my uncle has one which he's used since I was a child-- but they won't mount m42 lenses so they aren't really much use, sorry.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    If you have $300 go for the Bessaflex.
    Otherwise call Eric Hendrickson or email him (pentaxrepairs@aol.com) to see if he has a spotmatic II for sale.
    His website is here: http://pentaxs.com/
    Mama took my APX away.....

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    How about an Olympus OM with an M42 to Olympus lens mount adapter?

-----------My Flickr-----------
    Anáil nathrach, ortha bháis is beatha, do chéal déanaimh.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin