Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,944   Posts: 1,585,782   Online: 1026

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by mawz
    They're cheap, good and still supported.
    For the record, the G2 is still supported as well. ToCad handles all warranty repairs in the US. Their contact info is available from the Contax USA website.
    If you can't answer a man's argument, all is not lost; you can still call him vile names.
    - Elbert Hubbard

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    I had the G1 and T2 before my Leica M6.

I agree with everyone here. Focus can be an issue and the autoexposure and manual exposure was not fast or easy to use. The lenses were great, I had the " Holy trinity" and my entire G1 kit costs about what I paid for my M6. In the end the squinty viewfinder and lack of manual control left me wanting someting else.

The T2 was a great little camera and produced for me as well as the g1.

I do miss the G1 sometimes, namely for family pictures and when I want a pic of ourselves, no one can operate the Leica but most could use the g1.

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    I have both G1 and G2. Great cameras with even greater lenses. The AF is not worse or any better than any other AF camera.

Vahid

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by df cardwell
    Only criticism I had of the G2 was the sometimes uncertainty of where it was focussing, although it seldom failed, unless I was up close and shooting wide open.

That's a common difference, though, between AF and M focus. You'll miss some shots you'd get with MF, and make some you'd miss.

I've been told more than once it was my fault, that I was too stupid to know how to compensate for the camera seeing one thing and me seeing another. Probably true.

Finally, from uncertainty, I parted with the camera. Probably much easier for someone to learn to use the camera on its own terms, than one constantly comparing it to another camera.

But the G2 is no worse than the best AF SLRs, and better in many cases. The lenses, as said before, are wonderful. All in all, a great camera.
    Cant you see where its focusing from the rangefinder?

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by ajuk
    Cant you see where its focusing from the rangefinder?
    Actually, you can. It provides the distance to the subject it has focused on, which gives a good idea where the focus point is.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    The focus area is marked in the viewfinder...the little "brackets" that look like the focusing indicators on all modern AF SLRs. The distance displayed is a great double-check that you're getting what you think you're getting.
    Film is cheap. Opportunities are priceless.

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Why is it called a rangfinder if there is no rangefinder in it?

Jaap Jan

Images
    Because it is an electronic rangefinder.
    Watch for Loose Gravel

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by naaldvoerder
    Why is it called a rangfinder if there is no rangefinder in it?

Jaap Jan
    From Wikipedia:

A rangefinder camera is a camera fitted with a rangefinder: a range-finding focusing mechanism allowing the photographer to judge the focusing distance and take photographs that will be in focus. Most varieties of rangefinder show two images that when coincident give the proper focus distance. Older, non-coupled rangefinder cameras may display the focusing distance and require the photographer to transfer the value to the lens focusing ring. Most recent designs are coupled rangefinders - that is, the focus is adjusted both in the rangefinder and in the lens by the same control, usually a ring on the lens. In older designs the rangefinder is separate from the viewfinder; in most newer ones it appears at the center of the viewfinder.

It is not the viewfinder that classifies a camera as a rangefinder, but the method of focusing.
    If you can't answer a man's argument, all is not lost; you can still call him vile names.
    - Elbert Hubbard

Shooter
    Medium Format
    The G2 is as good as it gets for what it is. I have had mine a couple years now and the more I use it the more I appreciate it. It is fast, accurate, with lenses that are as good as any out there. My only concern is the long term reliability of the electronics. Will this rig still be working 50+ years from now like my Rollei, my superikonta and the like?

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin