Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,699   Posts: 1,549,141   Online: 1133

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thanks you all for your input I have decided to try the G2 and picked one up on E-Bay with 45mm and 90mm lenses. I will let you know how I get on once it arrives.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Congratulations on your new camera. I'll watch for thoughts once it arrives.
    If you can't answer a man's argument, all is not lost; you can still call him vile names.
    - Elbert Hubbard

Shooter
    35mm
    I like both the G1 and G2 quite a bit except for the fact that neither of them has a rangefinder, that is you must rely on the AF sensors to focus even if you focus the camera manually.

i like everything about the g2 but the viewfinder. since it is auto everything, you can easily use accessory viewfinders even for normal lenses (28, 35, 45mm), which are far brighter/contrastier and a little sharper than combined rf/vf.

i got this idea from luc delahaye, who you can see in 'winterreise' using a black g2 with a black leica sbloo in the hotshoe. chrome ones go for about $250-300 on ebay. you can also get new voigtlander finders for ~$150. they make the best 35mm vf, and made the best 28mm vf until the zeiss ikon 25/28 vf surpassed it. the best 50mm vf is still the leica sbooi, which goes for ~$130 on ebay.

Shooter
    35mm
    I have my G2 for a month now. Thanks to digital they are cheaper then ever, and the titanium on the outside lets it age graceful. If you buy one, keep an eye on the autofocus scale in the viewfinder, it will tell you what distance it is focussing on. Big mistakes will show up here very clear.
    So far I only had one shot that was slightly out of focus ( barely visible at a 10x15 cm print) and a few pictures that are of an outstanding quality.
    I think that with time I will better myself to take advantage of the full potential of camera en lenses.....And that is a lot!

Ps. Try looking thru the viewfinder before you buy. It is said to be a love or hate thing.

Hi all I have had the camera about a month now and added a 28mm lens as I come from an auto focus SLR background I find the auto focus of the G2 to be intuitive if a bit slow compared with my Dynax 9's the viewfinder is a bit small and dim but you soon get used to it. The results are amazing sharper and better contrast than my Minolta G lenses, almost 3D but you have to think more about the metering in tricky lighting, but I will soon get used to it. Viewing slides it produces on the light box is far more satisfing than looking at digital files on a monitor.

The biggest advantage the G2 has is it's light weight and portability which means it goes every were with me. So I better buy some shares in Fuji. I am planning on trying some higher speed B+W film soon this will be my first serious venture into mono so if i get on with it I will be trying to talk the wife into a darkroom before the end of the year.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin