Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,524   Posts: 1,543,852   Online: 847

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    I don't understand why Nikon made the FM3a so unnecessarily old fashoned looking?

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Nikon FM3a is one of the best cameras for me in 35 mm. If You get one, and if You will not like it (I doubt), sell it, and You probably will not lost a lot of money.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I'm seriously after one now. As for the look - that's something I like about it!

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by ajuk
    I don't understand why Nikon made the FM3a so unnecessarily old fashoned looking?
    For us oldies, the FM3a has the same feel as the classic Nikons from the F onwards. I can appreciate that the F4/5/6 are great cameras but they seem to be bulkier than any 35 mm camera has the right to be!

Images
    I recently bought one on ebay with a 45mm lens for £350 , its not a lot of money for something which I hope will out last me, I'm 47 but feeling 25 in the head, so that means its got to last at least 50 years, well maybe 23 if I make the 3 score and ten.

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by David H. Bebbington
    For us oldies, the FM3a has the same feel as the classic Nikons from the F onwards. I can appreciate that the F4/5/6 are great cameras but they seem to be bulkier than any 35 mm camera has the right to be!
    I'm not saying Nikon were wrong to make such a camera but they did seem to make an effort to make it look old school, just because its MF and Manual film advance shouldn't mean it should look like it was made in the 70's look at the OM2000 for example.

Shooter
    35mm
    I'm not saying Nikon were wrong to make such a camera but they did seem to make an effort to make it look old school, just because its MF and Manual film advance shouldn't mean it should look like it was made in the 70's look at the OM2000 for example.
    That is the reason why the FM3a is worth a whole lot more than the Olympus OM2000. That is what the intended customers want. I think it looks very nice. I want one for the look alone.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I don't think it is so much of a styling decision as a choice of efficiency. They already had the tooling for decades from the FM and FE lines. Very simple to not do any styling, and leave the development expenses to the electro-mechanical construction. I think that Nikon could not have expected many sales, so why put more money in styling. Even if they had made it look modern the reality is that it was introduced as a manual focus and manual film advance camera body in a world full of autofocus and motordrives.

Sure, it looks old school or retro, but I don't think that is a bad thing. When I compare an FM3A to the previous versions, I find the best and strongest feeling with the original FM and FE; then the FE2 and FM2 seem slightly less rugged . . . all these are durable cameras, but modernizing or cost cutting changed the feel. It would still take some abusive behavior to damage any version.

Ciao!

Gordon

P.S. - Thanks to all for this discussion. I enjoy this series of cameras.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by HerrBremerhaven
    I don't think it is so much of a styling decision as a choice of efficiency.
    I think styling did enter into this decision. I have a close friend who had Canon non AF equipment, and who wanted to move into a smaller and lighter SLR wirh AF ability. He decided on a Pentax MZ5-n. The decision was strongly influenced by the dials and controls on that camera - rotary, without LCD displays. The location of those controls was fairly traditional too.

All of those factors influenced the style of the camera.

I expect that there were a lot of Nikon owners who, when the FM3A was being designed, wanted to update their cameras, but who didn't want to change too much.

IMHO those Nikon owners had/ve good taste.

Matt

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Well, I am now the proud owner of a (second-hand) Fm3A body, bought from Mr Cad this morning. Apparently they hardly ever get them in, so I feel very lucky. It's in very good condition and is black like my Fm2n.

So I'm very happy

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin