Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,916   Posts: 1,584,715   Online: 838

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by ajuk
    I don't understand why Nikon made the FM3a so unnecessarily old fashoned looking?
    Because their 'modern' looking MF slr didn't sell well at all. In fact I'm pretty sure the least successful SLR Nikon ever made was the F601m/N6000, the MF version of the F601/N6006. I own one, it works pretty well, but in many ways it's a pain to use compared to a traditional layout SLR, and it's frikkin huge compared to a FM3a. The only reason I use my F601m anymore is it's the only camera I own with program shift, flash exposure compensation and rear curtain sync, which come in handy on occasion.

As to the OM2000, well Nikon already sells an almost identical SLR as the FM10 (The FM10 is actually the same as the OM2000 apart from having more modern styling and the mount) so why would they go along those lines for an SLR which was specifically introduced as a 'Retro' model.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Stargazer
    Well, I am now the proud owner of a (second-hand) Fm3A body, bought from Mr Cad this morning. Apparently they hardly ever get them in, so I feel very lucky. It's in very good condition and is black like my Fm2n.

So I'm very happy
    Congratulations on your new purchase! I hope it provides you with years of photographic ecstacy.

I'd love an FM3a also, but I'm scared to buy one. I'm afraid my two Nikon F3's might ge jealous and turn on me.
    Ara
    Just because you're not paranoid doesn't mean they're not out to get you.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Ara Ghajanian
    Congratulations on your new purchase! I hope it provides you with years of photographic ecstacy.

I'd love an FM3a also, but I'm scared to buy one. I'm afraid my two Nikon F3's might ge jealous and turn on me.
    Ara
    Thanks. To be completely honest I also bought a new (second-hand) lens - an 85mm f1.4 AIs, which I've wanted for years. So 'ecstasy' is probably near the mark today....the only thing is I neglected to buy any more 35mm film - I have a shelf full in my fridge but it's all 120mm....have to wait til tomorrow!
    Oh yes, I'll probably think about what I spent too - but certainly not til tomorrow :rolleyes:
    Last edited by catem; 05-15-2006 at 01:50 PM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    35mm

Just spotted 2!!

Kingsley Photographic (they have a website) in Tottenham Court Road have 2 pre-owned bodies in the window (well they did 40 minutes ago!). Suffering from N[FM3a]AS I was sorely tempted as I already have 2 but thought of trying to breed them - (un)fortunately a branch of my bank is almost next door and financial reality kicked in. They are jewels indeed, of the hardworking and reliable kind. Just thought somebody might be interested.
    Mike.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Allora
    Suffering from N[FM3a]AS I was sorely tempted as I already have 2 but thought of trying to breed them -

There again, keep them for a few years and they'd probably be a great investment? (but not saying you should regret your decision.. Can't believe you need more than two... ).

I'm delighted with mine - used to completely manual cameras and put a roll through with aperture-priority - seemed to work very well (exposure-wise, at least!)....

Shooter
    35mm
    About 6 yrs. ago I bought an FE2 plus three prime lenses. I should've stopped there. Recently someone actually gave me an FM3a on long term loan. In between all this I spent $$$$ on all kinds of AF bodies including recently a D70s. The FE2 and the FM3a are the ones I use the most.

Shooter
    35mm

Oh goodness - theres more out there!!

Quote Originally Posted by paullgj
    About 6 yrs. ago I bought an FE2 plus three prime lenses. I should've stopped there. Recently someone actually gave me an FM3a on long term loan. In between all this I spent $$$$ on all kinds of AF bodies including recently a D70s. The FE2 and the FM3a are the ones I use the most.
    OK - so my last on this - from famine to feast - Aperture Photographic in Great Russell Street (also London - also with a website) have 3 pre-owned - so for everybody for whom the penny is dropping and who wants one and should have one to appreciate what a real camera is (one that you use after engaging brain) - there's nothing to stop you. Like all FM3a owners will tell you "You can't get better".
    ps - for the cynics with us - I'm not on commission!

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin