Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,055   Posts: 1,561,365   Online: 1063

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Shooter
    Multi Format

Nikon FM3A anyone

I've returned to using my Nikon Fm2n, after using MF almost exclusively for a couple of years. In fact I am really enjoying and appreciating it. I'm now thinking of buying a second body and wondering about the FM3A. They seem to be a bit more than the Fm2's but are they worth the extra? Any views most welcome.

DBP

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I haven't used the FM2, but handled the FM3a a while back and it was a jewel. For myself, I couldn't justify the expense given a perfectly usable FE2 sitting in my bag. But I also don't have to depend on it for a living. If I did, I might buy one, as it may be the last and best all manual SLR made, given current market trends.

Shooter
    35mm
    I use a FM body, which is cheap and can couple the non-Ai mount as well.

And I'm in search of a good used F body right now.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Stargazer
    I've returned to using my Nikon Fm2n, after using MF almost exclusively for a couple of years. In fact I am really enjoying and appreciating it. I'm now thinking of buying a second body and wondering about the FM3A. They seem to be a bit more than the Fm2's but are they worth the extra? Any views most welcome.
    I bought one recently, totally satisfied, I bought FM3a rather than FM2 purely because of the aperture-priority AE - sometimes I need to be quick and not spend time matching exposure needles.

Shooter
    35mm
    Since you're in the UK may be you can get one at reasonable price. In the US if one could find one new the price is likely to be $800 USD.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    The FM3a is a great camera and would make a great second body. In fact, it would probably be your main body.

However, since you already own an FM2n and don't really need your other camera to have a fully mechanical shutter, why not consider a nice used FE2? They are very inexpensive and do everything the FM3a does, except work without a battery. (Well, they work, but only at 1/250.)

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Over the FM2, the FM3A has aperture priority auto exposure, and slightly better flash integration. It really is more like an FE2, though the flash features are slightly different. You might want to compare costs to getting a good condition used FE2, like from a place such as KEH.com.

I think the FM and FE combination are a good complimentary pair of 35mm SLRs. Any of the versions, from nearly any years, would be good choices, though the FM2 and FE2 would be much newer, and if you look at enough places you might find an FM3A new.

Ciao!

Gordon

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Thanks for the info/comments - I see another thread's been started on the FM3a's aswell! Which of course makes me feel even more like getting one....
    There are a few around new still but they are over £400 here, (body only) and seem quite pricey second-hand too, However, I know I'd feel very at home with one, and feel tempted to snap one up while I can....

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Thanks for the info/comments - I see another thread's been started on the FM3a's aswell! Which of course makes me feel even more like getting one....
    There are a few around new still but they are over £400 here, (body only) and seem quite pricey second-hand too, However, I know I'd feel very at home with one, and feel tempted to snap one up while I can....
    I bought one about a month ago - it was Robert White's demonstrator, the last one they had, and they had been told by Nikon UK that there were no more in stock or obtainable from Japan. It's just down to what individual dealers have in stock now, so don't wait too long!

Regards,

David

Shooter
    35mm
    I've got one that I've been using for just over a year and I've just picked up another - just love 'em. Yes they are jewels and do everything you could want them to - reliable, versatile, travel well and (most important) make you think. I know there's the Auto option but.....if you can track one down then grab it - you won't regret it. It will become an extension of your arm and brain and will probably outlive you - I know mine will outlive me but i havent told my grandson yet!! I know this is more an emotional than rational or technical response thing but the teccies will have their say too.
    Mike.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin