Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,685   Posts: 1,548,583   Online: 1155

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

400mm Spiratone - Is it t-mt or m42?

Hey folks

I just bought a 400/6.3 Spiratone from KEH, and a t-mt to FD adapter, and it seems that the threads don't quite match.

So, does anyone know if the spiratone was an t, t2, or m42 mount? That way I can go and buy the correct adapter...

Thanks,

André

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Well, they do require a T mount adapter but I can't say which "T" they use. I just sold one of these lenses to Donald Qualls, so maybe he can give you some insight. I know the two lenses I had were close to, but definitely not, M42 without the adapter. Pretty sharp lens, by the way.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Measure the thread across - is it 42 mm? The end of a T-mount lens will measure 49 mm and will not be threaded - it will have a flange which inserts into the mount and is held by three pinch screws.

Incidentally, a T-mount as supplied has a keeper ring in the middle - this has an inside diameter of about 42 mm and some ribbing on the exposed inner face (don't think it's actually a thread). The function of the keeper ring is to provide something for the pinch screws to be tightened against - the ring is laid aside when the mount is actually fitted to a lens.

Regards,

David

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Thanks for the quick replies,

Both the lens and the adapter measure 42mm across, but it seems that the thread pitch is slightly different (the lens begins to screw in, but doesn't go all the way, and I can't get infinity focus).

Any other thoughts?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Ok, Glenn, I just re-read your post (I must be really tired). So it's definately NOT m42... cool, that gives a start.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Does the adapter have the 3 pinch screws (visible in the outside edge at intervals of 120°)? Does it look as if it has a ring in the middle which could be removed?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Yes, it does have 3 screws on the outside. Actually, both the lens and the adapter have 3 screws on the outside...

Hmm, perhaps the lens has come with a m42 adapter fitted on it, and I've been trying to screw that into the keeper ring of the adapter I've bought? Well, I'll have to take a look at that tomorrow, when I'm less tired.

Thanks, David.

André

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Andre R. de Avillez
    Hmm, perhaps the lens has come with a m42 adapter fitted on it, and I've been trying to screw that into the keeper ring of the adapter I've bought? Well, I'll have to take a look at that tomorrow, when I'm less tired.

Thanks, David.

André
    This is highly plausible. Make sure you have a smallish jeweller's screwdriver handy, und loosen the screws just enough to release the ring (finding and refitting the little screws if you unscrew them all the way and allow them to fall on the floor is a total PIA).

Regards,

David

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by David H. Bebbington
    Measure the thread across - is it 42 mm? The end of a T-mount lens will measure 49 mm and will not be threaded - it will have a flange which inserts into the mount and is held by three pinch screws.

Incidentally, a T-mount as supplied has a keeper ring in the middle - this has an inside diameter of about 42 mm and some ribbing on the exposed inner face (don't think it's actually a thread). The function of the keeper ring is to provide something for the pinch screws to be tightened against - the ring is laid aside when the mount is actually fitted to a lens.

Regards,

David
    David, have you lost your mind? T-mount is M42x0.75 with 55 mm register. T-mount adapters are female M42x0.75 in front, male target camera -- I was going to write SLR but I have a couple of T-mount to LTM adapters -- at the rear, and with thickness = 55 mm - target camera register.

T-mount adapters are solid. T-2 mount adapters are much like T-mount adapters but are in two parts, an internal ring threaded M42x0.75 at the front and an external ring with male target camera mount at the rear. The internal ring fits in the external ring, is held in place by three set screws. This allows the camera and lens' tripod mount to be aligned.

Andre, the lenses were sold in T-mount and in M42x1. You could have one in native Pentax thread mount, in which case I'm sorry but you're SOL.

Cheers,

Dan

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Dan Fromm
    David, have you lost your mind? T-mount is M42x0.75 with 55 mm register. T-mount adapters are female M42x0.75 in front, male target camera -- I was going to write SLR but I have a couple of T-mount to LTM adapters -- at the rear, and with thickness = 55 mm - target camera register.

T-mount adapters are solid. T-2 mount adapters are much like T-mount adapters but are in two parts, an internal ring threaded M42x0.75 at the front and an external ring with male target camera mount at the rear. The internal ring fits in the external ring, is held in place by three set screws. This allows the camera and lens' tripod mount to be aligned.

Andre, the lenses were sold in T-mount and in M42x1. You could have one in native Pentax thread mount, in which case I'm sorry but you're SOL.

Cheers,

Dan
    I thought I was pretty sane, Dan, and my invisible friend agrees with me! Seriously, though: I have 3 T-mount devices, two cheapo telephoto lenses and a slide copier. The copier I bought new about 15 years ago, the cheapo lens are probably anything up to 30 years old. I also have a new unused T-mount. These are all the same, as I described in my earlier posting. At the rear is a male fitting to match up with a certain type of camera mount (Nikon F, Pentax K, M42). The T-mounts themselves have no particular register, they simply bring a lens into the required register of the camera model in question.

On the sides of all 4 mounts are 3 set screws. When loosened, these allow the keeper ring in the center of the mount to be removed - in no case have I experienced the need to use this ring to mount lenses. The rear of the T-mountable lenses has a tapered flange which fits inside the T-mount (the inside of which has plain parallel sides with no thread whatsoever), the 3 set screws are then almost fully tightened, the mount is checked for orientation, and the screws are then fully tightened. This as far as I am aware is a T2 mount - it's certainly what I've got whenever I asked for a T2 mount in a British camera store! Are you talking about adapters to fit M42 lenses on various bodies?

Regards,

David

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin