Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 68,653   Posts: 1,481,313   Online: 1031

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Shooter
    35mm
    Images

New camera for weddings...

The latch on my Nikon F100 just broke. Camera is only 4 years old...the latch broke on my N80 last year at approximately the same age. Am I just hard on my cameras? All my lenses are Nikon, but I am rethinking buying another Nikon. I will get this one repaired, but need another camera for my wedding season.

I also have an FM10 which I bought to replace my Pentax K1000 when it could no longer seem to be repaired. I guess I'm thinking of something that has the option for auto exposure and focusing.

Should I try a rangefinder...try a medium format.. a Pentax? I still have two bayonet type lenses for Pentax.

I shoot weddings, portraits....as well as 'fine art' personal work.. use my Mamiya for those more.

I've been searching and reading anything already posted on the forum re: cameras but now feel more confused. Maybe I should just get another Nikon.

Thanks for any and all help!
    [FONT=Book Antiqua]Ellen Marie[/FONT]
    SC

www.bellafiorephoto.com

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Get another F100 or repair the broken one instead of searching for magic bullets, all cameras will break with heavy use... You have done great work with a F100 so far, no point in changing IMHO.
    Amund

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images

F4 or F5

Given that you seem to be hard on your tools, I'd recommend pro quality bodies. I'd look at used F4 or F5 bodies. The prices on these are really coming down. You already have Nikon AF glass, so that makes sense.

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Yes, I was going to get the F100 repaired, but it won't get back to me in time for the next wedding. Do you mean there are no magic bullets??!! lol.

I had thought of adding an F5 or F6 so this might be the perfect time. Thanks so much for your thoughts! And for your compliment, Amund.
    SC

www.bellafiorephoto.com

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Go with an f6. It's phenomenal. The f5 is nice, but the new autofocus cam and sensor points in the f6 make it worth the price difference (IMO).

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by GraemeMitchell
    Go with an f6. It's phenomenal. The f5 is nice, but the new autofocus cam and sensor points in the f6 make it worth the price difference (IMO).
    Agreed. The other thing to consider is size and weight. The F5 is a big, heavy camera, a lot more than the F100. I can't say about the F6; it looks a bit smaller than the F5.
    Robert M. Teague
    www.visionlandscapes.com
    www.apug.org/forums/portfolios.php?u=2235

"A man who works with his hands is a laborer; a man who works with his hands and his brain is a craftsman; a man who works with his hands and his brain and his heart is an artist" -- Louis Nizer

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Good to know that about the F6...thanks!
    Last edited by Ellenmarie; 05-22-2006 at 10:03 PM. Click to view previous post history.
    SC

www.bellafiorephoto.com

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    I had a F4 and it is a work horse, very rugged. I still have it, unable to think about giving it up but really use mostly MF. The F4 is large and heavy compared to the newer cameras but it still works great.
    Prints available in the APUG GAllery
    www.gaylarsonphotography.com

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    I'll probally burn in hell for saying this, but the only camerra I would ever use anymorefor any wedding is one that silently shots tranquilizer darts into the camera party, and doesn't wear off for a looooong time.

On a more serious note, the most bullet proof Nikon I have ever used - and still own - is the FM2. Totally mechanical and manual - which is not always the best thing to have at a wedding to be sure, autofocus and autoexposure comming in very handy at a wedding, but before I moved up to LF, I put my Nikon FM and FM2s through a world of hurt, and both are still chugging along just fine. IMO, comparing the FM10 to a FM2 in terms of durability is like comparing a Humvee to an Abrams. Worth a look at a good, used one if you ever get a chance.

joe

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Compared to the F100, the F5 is a magic bullet !

It is an awesome camera, and basically free on Ebay.

I can't say too much about the F5.
    "One of the painful things about our time is that those who feel certainty are stupid,
    and those with any imagination and understanding are filled with doubt and indecision"

-Bertrand Russell

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin