Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,951   Posts: 1,557,923   Online: 967

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Blog Entries
    Images

Nikon FE-2 with dead swing needle but working shutter? Repair?

Last evening I received a clean FE-2 in the mail. I had received a box lot of recently expired film that included some HIE infrared and thought it would be fun to run some through a Nikon one last time. Thus I won the FE-2. I've had several over the years but all were gone to kids etc.

The meter is working and the camera is choosing correct shutter speeds for the different situations on the A setting, only the swing needle no longer works. So while I could just 'trust' the camera, I can't see what it's doing. The shutter also works correctly in all the manual modes. ie. 1/4 second set gives a correct 1/4 second shutter speed. The needle is present and bounces if the camera is lightly tapped, but it's dead.

Is there something I should try to perhaps remedy this? Ideas welcome. Especially from folks who have repaired these.

I posted this also at Pnet hoping there's an easy fix / solution.
    He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep..to gain that which he cannot lose. Jim Elliot, 1949

http://tonopahpictures.0catch.com

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Allow me a stupid question.
    How many times did you fire the shutter after opening and closing the back ?
    The needle won't move untill the framecounter reaches #1
    Cheers, Søren
    Send from my Electronic Data Management Device using TWOFingerTexting

Technology distinquishable from magic is insufficiently developed

Søren Nielsen
    Denmark

Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    You're allowed, but I've fired all the way to 36+. Jim
    He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep..to gain that which he cannot lose. Jim Elliot, 1949

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Didn't the FE-2's have a PC board problem in the earlier serial numbers? I'm no expert but, I think that there were some issues....some well known common repairs.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    If you have to move on to repairing this one, keep your eyes open on eBay for one on which someone's poked a finger through the shutter. They show up occasionally and generally go for peanuts, as the shutters are expensive to have repaired (if you can find the parts).

Best of luck Jim...there is something special about an FE2.

Be well.
    Dave
    Film is cheap. Opportunities are priceless.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    jim,
    Frequently the problem was dirty resistor bands, bad ground etc.Sometimes the meter was shot but more frequently just dirt on contacts. Much like Ferrari's carbon on the valves.
    Heavily sedated for your protection.

Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Thanks for the encouragement. Yes, I do believe the FE-2's were the best of the best before the black blobs took over the world!

My repair skills on a scale from 1 - 10 are about a 4. If I take it apart I FEAR it will never go back together correctly again and instead of having a useable camera sans visible meter, I'll have a pile of parts. Maybe I'll just use it and trust what it decides to do. That's not really very satisfactory though.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by jimgalli
    Is there something I should try to perhaps remedy this? Ideas welcome. Especially from folks who have repaired these.
    Jim,

why not use the same meter you use with the rest of your cameras? Perhaps you could front-mount a packard to the lens!

Matt (the unhelpful)

Shooter
    35mm
    Since all functions work, I can think of only 2 possible causes. The needle is binding or the wires to the meter loose. I don't know how to take a camera apart either so I can't recommend a fix except may be tapping or shaking the camera??

Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Chan Tran
    Since all functions work, I can think of only 2 possible causes. The needle is binding or the wires to the meter loose. I don't know how to take a camera apart either so I can't recommend a fix except may be tapping or shaking the camera??
    Must be the wires to the meter because it isn't binding. If I shake the camera it 'bounces' freely.

Quote Originally Posted by MattCarey
    why not use the same meter you use with the rest of your cameras? Perhaps you could front-mount a packard to the lens!
    I've always drawn the line for hand meters at 35mm Matt. For me the whole point of a 35 is the freedom to point the camera and let it do the rest.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin