Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,548   Posts: 1,544,547   Online: 991

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by firecracker
    "... My concern is about the rapid growth of fungus in the humid environment..."

"... person/technician at this well-known repair shop specialized in repairing old used Leica products... didn't mention about any signs of the fungus, which I asked..."
    You said you asked about fungus and the tech "didn't mention" any. Could you be a little more specific? Do you mean s/he evaded or ignored your question, or s/he said there were no signs of fungus? Also, if the tech couldn't reassure you, maybe a second opinion would?

Seems to me, if there are no signs of fungus, and your concern is fungus, you might want to keep a supply of a desiccant in your kit.

Shooter
    35mm
    Not the cheapest method but call Schneider usa. Tell them you are sending them the lens for inspection. Tell them you wish to be instructed on the best way to proceed and what your options are.
    Claire (Ms Anne Thrope is in the darkroom)

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Claire Senft
    Not the cheapest method but call Schneider usa. Tell them you are sending them the lens for inspection. Tell them you wish to be instructed on the best way to proceed and what your options are.
    Claire, the Summicron the original poster asked about is a Leitz lens. Wouldn't it be better to send the lens to Leica than to Schneider?

Shooter
    35mm
    Schneider USA is the USA distributor fot Leica.
    Claire (Ms Anne Thrope is in the darkroom)

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Schneider USA is the USA distributor fot Leica.
    Thanks for the explanation.

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by bob01721
    You said you asked about fungus and the tech "didn't mention" any. Could you be a little more specific? Do you mean s/he evaded or ignored your question, or s/he said there were no signs of fungus? Also, if the tech couldn't reassure you, maybe a second opinion would?

Seems to me, if there are no signs of fungus, and your concern is fungus, you might want to keep a supply of a desiccant in your kit.

When the tech guy at the made an estimate based on his check-up. He said he didn't see any fungus. What he found was the decay of the coating among some dust and dirt that's making the (slight) fog and haze.

The tech guy has told me that the decay of the coating will proceed over time, and that will make the lens less clear and affect the images more if it's already affecting, but I don't know because I have nothingt to compare to right now.

And if the condition of the lens is like this today compared to, let's say 6, 7 years ago when I first got it, yes, maybe 95 percent of a chance it will grow more and get worse.

But the particles of some kind of fungus/fungi that are not visible at this stage could be expected all the time, which is what I hear from other camera users in this country. People usually indentify fungus/fungi when it is/they are big enough to be growing like snow flakes or spider webs. But that's already too late.

The last time the lens went to the service, but that wasn't for lens cleaning, so some inside elements have not been touched for a long long time. That's the only reason for me think it's time for me to get the lens cleaned by the professionals.

I'm still debating, but I will have to answer to the tech guy today. Based on what I've read here, I'll be more confident to make my decision for sure. I'm likely to ask him to do the job.

Thanks again.

Shooter
    35mm
    Never thought of that as an option. Thanks. I'll try the next time since this cleaning job could be done over here (Japan). If it requires much more serious overhaul (severe damage on the optics, etc), I'll definitely contact them.

But what happened Leica U.S.A. in New Jersey? Is it still around doing any service? If you have read my earlier post, I will not choose it again, but I still wonder if it's still doing the repairs for the Leica cameras and lenses...

Shooter
    35mm
    http://www.photoethnography.com/blog...g_cameras.html

This is one of the sites I kind of learned about the risk of fungus/fungi. Apparently this site owner/anthroplogist knows far more than I know about the condition of the environment.

Maybe it's interesting for others to take a look at it as a traveling and survival tip.

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by Dan Fromm
    Claire, the Summicron the original poster asked about is a Leitz lens. Wouldn't it be better to send the lens to Leica than to Schneider?
    Dan, thanks for your post(s). I guess things are changing so fast in the film camera/lens business world. I didin't know about the Leica distribution by Schneider, either.

Shooter
    35mm
    I have to give you the update. Well, the funny thing is that when I called back and told the tech guy to do the cleaning, he had already been in the mood to not do it. So, by the end of the conversation, I was almost convinced that I was not going to be his customer at all and told him to just send me back the lens without any service.

Maybe I asked too many questions, but that was needed. And now I have some time to do more research and use the lens in the meantime.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin