Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 68,686   Posts: 1,482,338   Online: 872

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Shooter
    35mm
    I can state with certainty that it would haveb been better for Claire not to have assumed the question was from a poster in the continental USA.
    Claire (Ms Anne Thrope is in the darkroom)

Shooter
    35mm
    I have to add that the last week and this week are for big cleaning for my camera gears. I have another lens (Canon) already in the shop, but that's already in the process of cleaning. Also, I have one more lens (Nikon) I have to send out. But these Japanese brands don't really give me a headache like the Leica one did because there are plenty of places that do satisfying jobs.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by firecracker
    I have to give you the update. Well, the funny thing is that when I called back and told the tech guy to do the cleaning, he had already been in the mood to not do it. So, by the end of the conversation, I was almost convinced that I was not going to be his customer at all and told him to just send me back the lens without any service.

Maybe I asked too many questions, but that was needed. And now I have some time to do more research and use the lens in the meantime.
    Hmm. Might have been an honest tech. Ages ago I had the late Steve Grimes make a mount adapter for one of my process lenses. The lens in question had a little internal schmutz, so I asked Steve how much cleaning it would cost. He told me not to be so damned neurotic, explained that the lens wasn't in poor enough condition to warrant the trouble and expense. And it fact it shot quite well.

On another topic, your tale of coatings that deteriorate spontaneously strikes me as very odd. Especially for fairly modern hard coatings. I have a couple of lenses whose external surfaces are just horrible, but all of them are pretty clean internally and its clear that something corrosive had got to them or that they'd been cleaned with sandpaper.

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by Dan Fromm
    On another topic, your tale of coatings that deteriorate spontaneously strikes me as very odd. Especially for fairly modern hard coatings. I have a couple of lenses whose external surfaces are just horrible, but all of them are pretty clean internally and its clear that something corrosive had got to them or that they'd been cleaned with sandpaper.
    Right. That part of the question is still not solved. So I have to get more opinions from other tech people from other repair shops hopefully in the next 6 months or so.

I believe the tech guy at the shop did all he could do and was 100 percent honest with me, which was very nice. I bet his service would probably leave no doubts for other customers with a similar issue as mine.

Anyhow his explanation as well as your comments here have given me sort of a great relief for now.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin