Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,921   Posts: 1,556,577   Online: 1213

Shooter
    35mm
    Images

Good Photography Store in Dallas Area???

I will be making a trip to the Dallas metroplex soon and I was wanting to find a good photography store, particularly one that carries used equipment. Any suggestions?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    To be honest, your best bet is the internet or the JeremyMoore Camera Emporium

Don's is the only place I can think of with good equipment at close to reasonable prices. Personally, I suggest keh.com or the bay.
    Let's see what I've got in the magic trash can for Mateo!

blog
    website

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    David Brown and I were discussing this very subject last night (except it was the MetroMess as a whole) there really is not any place were you can get one stop shopping any longer. As Jeremy said above, Don's is one place - on Industrial in the photo district, Competitive Cameras had quite a bit of DR stuff or did last time I was there, Arlington Camera off of Randall Mill, most of the old style shops are gone.

Look at Keh.com or mpex.com (midwest photo exchange) for used equipment, Calumet and Freestyle for darkroom supplies...even with shipping they beat most locals.
    Mike C

Rambles

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by photomc
    David Brown and I were discussing this very subject last night ...
    Mike (photomc) and I were discussing this very subject last night ...

I left the house yesterday with a shopping list:

100 sh box of MGRC 8x10
    25 sh pack of MG fibre WT 8x10
    Multigrade paper developer
    ID-11 film developer
    Ilford Rapid fix
    hypo clear
    selenium toner

I went to two different camera stores and came home with the warm tone paper, a 25 sh pack of the RC, and the ID 11.:rolleyes:

I've been trying to support local shops, but when I can never go to any of them and find the specific items I'm looking for, it's over. I'm going mail-order.

I wouldn't waste my time looking for used film gear in Dallas. Years ago, we had our own KEH, with a retail showroom. Long gone. Don's might have a camera or two. Literally.

In fact, if you plan on doing any shooting in Dallas, bring your film with you. Yes, there are places to buy film, but you might have to spend all day driving around to find the type, brand, and/or format you want.

Sad, but true. Thank God for UPS.

I've heard the situation is better in Houston, and I know for a fact it's better in San Antonio. But, neither very close to Dallas ...

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    in my opinion...got to talk to guys at midwest! 9 times out 10 i have gotten a better deal on used equipment than any other place i have been in the past-local or net...tlak to jim! he's the man!! local shops are great...don't get me wrong...i have one i shop at here in tacoma, they love folks who shoot large format...ask for bill. they are also posting a lot of stuff on ebay right now...lenses and film holders i believe...check it out.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Since this thread was resurrected, I thought I'd update.

The last time I was in Competitive Camera in Dallas (November?), I was able to buy all the Ilford paper and film I was looking for. And, the owner assured me that he was going to continue to stock darkroom! He was making a point of emphasizing this to me! So, there ya are.

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin