Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,555   Posts: 1,545,011   Online: 691

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Bokeh& apeture

Shooter
    35mm
    The capability of manufacturing should be discussed during the design stage so that the designers know that their choices will allow it to be made. Additionally, it is rather naive to believe that something either passes QC or does not. Having more than a 4 decades of employment in manufacturing I can tell you that just because something does not meet specs is no assurance that it will not ship. Besides that taking items that are not in spec and reworking them so that they are is less likely to be as good as making them right in the first place and is certain to lower profit.
    Claire (Ms Anne Thrope is in the darkroom)

Ole
    Shooter
    Large Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Dan Fromm
    ... Was there enough computing power in the universe to all the choices you describe before the mid-'60s? I have the impression that nearly all of the work done when designing a lens is focused on reducing aberrations, getting adequate field flatness, and getting the desired coverage. And, of course, making sure that the design can be manufactured economically. ...
    According to contemporary advertisments, Voigtländer designed the Heliar lens specifically for the best possible transition from sharp to unsharp. The expression was not in use at the time, but as far as I can understand that's what "good bokeh" means.
    -- Ole Tjugen, Luddite Elitist
    Norway

Shooter
    35mm
    The way I understand "Bokeh" is that it is the quality of the out of focus area. It can be pleasant or not so pleasant. Beauty is in the eye of the beholder. To compare you Bokeh to your Uncles Leica Bokeh you need to even the playing field so to speak. Shoot the same film, subject and distance, f/stop and lens length. However some lenses have more pleasing results than others. I believe my Minolta MD lenses provide better Bokeh than my Nikkor lenses. The Nikor lenses are sharper. Take your pick between the two. I prefer the Nikkor lens myself. This is subjective to my viewing. Digital camera's to me have an even grainless out of focus area that is flat and lackluster. Bokeh is dependent on all the qualities of your lens, film, light etc and cannot be pinned down to a single component such as number of blades. . Mirror lenses have a Bokeh of their own with the doughnut shapes they produce.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    David is right about the number of blades not being everything. I have a Minolta Autocord with an 8-bladed aperture, i.e. almost round, but the bokeh wide open is almost horrendous. It improves in character as it's stopped down.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin