Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 73,876   Posts: 1,629,396   Online: 757

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    My advice is give your son custody of the Canon A-1, sounds like for a 10 year old, he has the gift and should be fostered. He will take care of the camera I think. I remember when I was little my dad would shoo me away from his Nikon F, Nikkormat and Leicas, I played around with a 1970's version of the Holga with 120 film, but I wanted a real camera. I wish I knew where the negs were from thoses days.

Bill
    "Life moves pretty fast, if you don't stop and look around once and a while, you might just miss it."
    Ferris Bueller

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    They don't have to cost a $1000.00. I was suggesting a twin lens like a C220 or C330 etc. I just checked eBay and there are 120's for a little money.

DBP

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Markok765
    Id love a medum format but its 1000 for a used mamia
    True of the Mamiya rangefinders, but the Mamiya TLRs are as little as a quarter of that. Or you can put together a Bronica system for under $400. And an Arax tweaked Kiev 60 is $329 new, used ones can be less than half that. Decent TLRs can be well under $100, and if you are willing to forego automation they can be pretty cheap. I've paid anything from $125 for an early Mamiya C to $9.99 for an older Ciroflex. The Yashica 12 in particular seems to be significantly cheaper than its successor, but has equal performance. Folders can be just as inexpensive, and some have surprising good lenses. Frankly, there has never been a better time to enter medium format.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by DBP
    True of the Mamiya rangefinders, but the Mamiya TLRs are as little as a quarter of that. Or you can put together a Bronica system for under $400. And an Arax tweaked Kiev 60 is $329 new, used ones can be less than half that. Decent TLRs can be well under $100, and if you are willing to forego automation they can be pretty cheap. I've paid anything from $125 for an early Mamiya C to $9.99 for an older Ciroflex. The Yashica 12 in particular seems to be significantly cheaper than its successor, but has equal performance. Folders can be just as inexpensive, and some have surprising good lenses. Frankly, there has never been a better time to enter medium format.
    No the mamia slrs. they look like hasies
    Marko Kovacevic
    Blog
    Youtube

Shooter
    Multi Format
    While the advantagesof MF are nice, the truth you must face is What would your son like to use? If he's content to deal with the 35 with 24-36 exposures/roll or MF with 12. They do handle differently and input from him should be of great importance in the decision. It's a very responsible choice and he needs to be encouraged to participate.
    Some might say I have a bad attitude! Too bad.

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Uncle Bill
    My advice is give your son custody of the Canon A-1, sounds like for a 10 year old, he has the gift and should be fostered. He will take care of the camera I think.

Bill
    I second this suggestion.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Well you have a Canon System and might want to stick with that, but I vote the Minolta SRT series; very inexpensive, very rugged, very high quality, MD mount lenses are inexpensive and great performers.

A SRT 100 or 101 match needle SLR with a 35mm, 50mm and 135mm lens shouldn't set you back more than $150-$200 and you can always build with time.

Plus, if anyone ever charges him in dark alley, he can drop them with a swing of the camera and then get a photo of them before they hit the pavement; the SRT won't blink an eye.

I agree to give him a solid, quality camera to start with and remove one of a myriad of hurdles you face when just starting out; no need to have to fight the camera while trying to master the craft -- it could be very off-putting.

Myself, I started with a Minolta SRT MCII; the Montgomery Wards rebadged version of the SRT 100; a fantastic camera that would still be here IF I hadn't let a (ex) friend attempt to reposition a viewfinder shim.

Frank

DBP

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Markok765
    No the mamia slrs. they look like hasies
    Still plenty of other choices out there. If your heart is set on an SLR, then Bronica, Pentax, Kowa, and Kiev, to name a few, offer less expensive options. For that matter, the Mamiya RB67 and M645 are often both well under $500. Check out www.keh.com. Their "bargain" cameras often look better than other people's "9+". These days, the only medium format SLR systems in the $1000 range are the Rolleis, Hassys, and Mamiya RZ67.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    You might look into an OM-1 or OM-2. They are great little cameras. They are about a 1/3d smaller than a manual Canon or Minolta and would fit better into the little guy's hands. Zuiko glass is superb and the OM bodies are durable as well. There's no substitute for his learning how to manually focus a camera and set the shutter spreed and aperture. His natural penchant for still life shooting is perfect for b/w analog film photography- slower paced and more creative. Get him a tripod. You have all the makings of a future LF shooter!
    Last edited by Changeling1; 06-06-2006 at 07:26 AM. Click to view previous post history.
    "A certain amount of contempt for the material employed to express an idea is indispensable to the purest realization of this idea." Man Ray

Shooter
    35mm RF
    The logic of sticking with Canon seems unanswerable to me. MF sounds like a bad idea as does anything else that's too inconvenient to use. In his situation I'd want the best results for the least effort -- it's PICTURES he wants, not a camera -- and that says 35mm SLR to me, preferably with through-lens metering and with at least one auto option that he will understand and usually ignore.

Yes he could get great results with a used 4x5 but does he (and do you) want to get into that much hassle? And if you're going for 35mm, anything other than an SLR with full manual control would be very frustrating indeed to a still life photographer.

Perhaps you could ask him if you could post some of his still lifes? It's a much underrated area of photography. Some of mine appear in the gallery at www.rogerandfrances.com.

Cheers,

Roger
    Last edited by Roger Hicks; 06-06-2006 at 02:44 AM. Click to view previous post history. Reason: Mistake -- hit wrong button

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin