Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,553   Posts: 1,545,006   Online: 772

Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by TheFlyingCamera
    I think from the sound of it that your son has already expressed an interest above and beyond the digital point-n-shoot level. I understand where the teacher is coming from, but a boy who sets up his own still-lifes (!!!!) is not going to get bored waiting a few hours for his visual feedback or dealing with the process(es) involved. I would strongly encourage him to do ANYTHING that did not involve instant gratification.

I know I'll be facing an extreme uphill battle, but if and when I have kids, they will get all the books they can read, Lincoln Logs, Tinker Toys and Legos they can glom together, minimal TV (there will NOT be a TV in their room), structured internet access. NO Playstation or Xbox. Pencils, paper, crayons, cameras...anything to drive creativity and personal expression. I'll make sure they are literate by the time they're in Kindergarten.
    YES!

took the words right out of my head.

as was said in The Incredibles
    "there's no school like the olde school" ..

-john
    silver magnets, trickle tanks sold
    artwork often times sold for charity
    PM me for details

DBP

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by TheFlyingCamera
    I know I'll be facing an extreme uphill battle, but if and when I have kids, they will get all the books they can read, Lincoln Logs, Tinker Toys and Legos they can glom together, minimal TV (there will NOT be a TV in their room), structured internet access. NO Playstation or Xbox. Pencils, paper, crayons, cameras...anything to drive creativity and personal expression. I'll make sure they are literate by the time they're in Kindergarten.
    Amen.

I have none or my own, but cousin's and friend's kids get presents from me that are either toys requiring fiddling around, or books. Usually one of each. I even ordered a Russian erector set copy for one because the current US version is designed to build specific models. Fortunately, one of the kids has taken to the arts, so she gets brushes, paints, calligraphy sets and the like. I try to find models for the boys.

I have fond memories of playing with guns made from a stick, rubber band, nail, and clothespin trigger. Of course someone probably sells those now. When was the last time anyone saw a homemade treefort? Does the community association prevent those now?

Shooter
    35mm
    1000 what for a Mamiya? I know where there are three recent models for less than half that. I'd go with an old Nikon body, a Nikkormat or F2/F3. They are quite inexpensive and there is a ton of glass out there, also inexpensive.

Rick H.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by 308jockey
    1000 what for a Mamiya? I know where there are three recent models for less than half that. I'd go with an old Nikon body, a Nikkormat or F2/F3. They are quite inexpensive and there is a ton of glass out there, also inexpensive.

Rick H.
    For an rz67
    Marko Kovacevic
    Blog
    Youtube

DBP

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    But an RZ67 is bigger than many 10 year olds.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    By the time a camera is decided on the boy will be 20 instead of 10. Just pick up something from a pawn shop and let him go for it.

Shooter
    35mm
    The only real way to LEARN photography is with a camera that is totally manual. I suggest an Olympus OM-1N with 50mm f1.8 normal lens.

Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin