Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,814   Posts: 1,581,604   Online: 825

Page 1 of 7 1234567 LastLast
    Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images

Camera for my son

OK-I posted this in the 35mm forum, but will take any responses.

I have a 10 year old son who is showing a real interest in photography. I started photography when I was about 14 or so, so he seems a little young, but that's OK.

Anyhow, this weekend, he grabbed my Canon A-1 and wanted to take pictures. I was astonished-he didn't want to take snapshots of the dog, or me, or anything else. Instead he started arranging candles to create some still life shots. And his ideas were really impressive for a 10 year old! He spent about an hour taking various "artistic" shots, working on lighting, background, etc. So then we went to the college nearby and took more pictures in the chapel on campus and the old cemetary nearby. The kid had some really good ideas.

The camera had Ilford HP5 400 speed film in it-I shoot exclusively B&W, and that seems to interest him.

Anyhow, I want to foster this interest and I want to get him a camera that is his. He has used my Holga, but I want to get him a "real" camera-but nothing too complicated right now, as I don't want to overwhelm him. I want to stick with film, and preferably 35 mm. I have no problem with him using my Canon A-1 on a permanent basis (I have moved on to a 645 for the most part, so we can shoot photos together), but if anyone has any better ideas, I am all ears.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    What about a little Point 'n Shoot in 35mm ? Can probably get a nice one CHEAP now. Plus, he can play with the zoom, etc.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Mabyif he wants an slr Get him a canon fd witha 50mm. i would recomend a t70 or mabye an old pentax spotmatic, he will learn about shutter speeds and apeture. teach him to develop film and print.
    he will love photography for the rest of his life!
    Marko
    Marko Kovacevic
    Blog
    Youtube

Shooter
    Multi Format
    If you want to share lenses with him, you could do no better than an FTb or FTb(n). He'll have to learn to focus and choose shutter speeds and apertures with a match needle meter and the body is very well built. Metering is also somewhat selective, the 12% center rectangle that's a little darker, so you can teach him to choose what to meter on as well. My sons both learned on similar camera bodies at about the same age as yours. Both now complain if you hand them a body that doesn't let them make their own choices manually.

Lee

Shooter
    Multi Format
    The only disadvantage of the Canon FD system is that it's obsolete and you can't easily buy new things for it. The stuff you can get is very affordable, though, so it might not matter.

If you have some lenses for your A-1, you could get him a decent Canon body (the AV-1 is good; it has aperture priority... the AE-1 is cheap... the AT-1 and FT-b are fully manual and are great for learning).

Let him shoot and find out what he wants. The A-1 is a good camera, but encourage him to use modes other than program mode. The only bad thing about the A-1 is that manual mode is a pain to use because it's uncoupled.

Shooter
    Large Format
    I just purchased a couple Nikon FM-10 cameras for my 13 & 15 year olds. I want them to learn on manual cameras and my 35mm system is a Fujica AX-3 (vintage 1980). They both have Ax-3 bodies that I purchased on Ebay about 2 years ago with the hope that we could share lenses, but the 13 year old's meter doesn't function properly, and the 15 year old's has a light leak and the fast shutter speeds don't function properly. I figured the hell with sharing my lenses, I would rather get them cameras that they could use for quite a while and that at least worked properly. Got them from B&H for $219 each with a 35-70 lens. Now if I can find a nice Nikon FM3A for myself :-)

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by PhotoJim
    If you have some lenses for your A-1, you could get him a decent Canon body (the AV-1 is good; it has aperture priority... the AE-1 is cheap... the AT-1 and FT-b are fully manual and are great for learning).
    The AV and AT bodies are fairly rare, as they sold poorly against the AE-1 and AE-1 Program bodies. I seldom see them used. The AE series seem to be suffering two somewhat common problems these days, a squeaky mirror box and failing shutter electronics. The common shutter problem can be fixed with a new capacitor and/or scavenged electromagnet if you want to order parts and can do a bit of reasonably fine soldering in places that are easy to get to. You can find the squeaky mirror fix online. I think it's more complex.

The mechanical shutter on the FTb doesn't have these electronics problems. That doesn't preclude mechanical problems, but I'd personally prefer to take my chances with an FTb.

Lee

DBP

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I was learning on an Argoflex at age 10 or so, so I would start him on something with the basics, a meter and through the lens or twin lens focusing. I personally think TLRs and other cameras with waist level finders are better for learning composition, and that medium format is more forgiving when you start, but other than that a 35mm SLR is fine. The off-brand (non-Pentax) screw mount ones are almost free these days ($10-$25 at auction) and have depth of field preview. In TLRs, it's hard to go wrong with an old Ciroflex or Graflex 22 and an old hand held meter (though I learned using the sheet of pictures in the film box meter), or you could spend a bit more on one of the older Japanese models. My observation of the kids that age I have seen around my old cameras, and the ones I have given cameras to, is that they are more fascinated by things without automation. With a little encouragement and some freedom to make mistakes he'll be hooked - my cousins have produced a fourth generation of avid photographers, which makes christmas a little odd, flashes going off everywhere.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Don't get him a toy camera, get him a real camera and don't forget the tripod and cable release. You can get a decent camera at a decent price these days. If he likes architectural and still lifes and you develop at home then what about a medium format camera? The film isn't that much more than 35mm. Do it right and you won't regret it.

Curt

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Curt
    Don't get him a toy camera, get him a real camera and don't forget the tripod and cable release. You can get a decent camera at a decent price these days. If he likes architectural and still lifes and you develop at home then what about a medium format camera? The film isn't that much more than 35mm. Do it right and you won't regret it.

Curt
    Id love a medum format but its 1000 for a used mamia
    Marko Kovacevic
    Blog
    Youtube

Page 1 of 7 1234567 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin