Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,697   Posts: 1,549,077   Online: 1079

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I use an OM-1, it is a great camera. If I could not use it I would go for a Nikon FM3A.

-----------My Flickr-----------
    Anáil nathrach, ortha bháis is beatha, do chéal déanaimh.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    The high eyepoint Nikons (F3hp, F4, F5 etc) are your best bet if you wear specs (like me). Very bright and easy to see through with dioptre control on the F4 and above.
    Norman is an island.Time and tide wait for Norman.

Shooter
    Sub 35mm
    Blog Entries
    i don't usually suggest to anyone equipment that is expensive - like the folks who suggest someone get an ebony camera and a $3,500.00 lens to go with it as a "starter large format kit" ...

but if you have the $$$$$$$$$ leica RF.

after shooting nikon and pentax, and now using
    a M3, i don't wanna go back.

john
    Last edited by jnanian; 06-11-2006 at 06:11 PM. Click to view previous post history. Reason: forgot something

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Have you considered the OM-4? It has built in diopter correction for those who wear specs. I am lucky that I do not need that feature just yet.

Bill
    "Life moves pretty fast, if you don't stop and look around once and a while, you might just miss it."
    Ferris Bueller

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    They (whomever 'they' are!!!) say that rangefinders are much easier to focus for individuals who have difficulties focusing SLRs.

FWIW, my eyesight is not bad, but I find my R3A much easier to focus than either of my SLRs without my glasses. I'm actually hunting for a diopter lens for my R3A right now.

Just my $0.02

Kent
    Max Power, he's the man who's name you'd love to touch! But you mustn't touch! His name sounds good in your ear, but when you say it, you mustn't fear! 'Cause his name can be said by anyone!

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    I'll also recommend the Nikon alternative. I have three F3HPs (kept at different locations) and find this to be a great piece of gear. Everytime I wind the film advance lever a smile comes to my face - it is so "buttery smooth".

The F3HP can be used in fully manual mode if you prefer - but does also provide for aperture-priority mode for when you don't want to "think" too hard!

I also have a F5 and although it is auto - the built-in diopter is an attractive feature that may suit your needs.

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark Fisher
    I wear glasses and find it difficult to use. Are there any similar alternatives in the Canon FD, Pentax, or Nikon worlds that might fit my needs?
    I think with wearing glasses, it gets harder to see any viewfinder. I have a rubber attachment on the viewfinder of my Nikon FM body to protect my glasses from getting scratched. And that's even worse. I can't see anything.

But since this camera shows only 80-some percent of the actual frame in the viewfinder, I don't worry too much. Instead, I've learned not to rely on the viewfinder but go with my instinct and intuition for snap shots without framing as precisely.

So, I preset everything in my hands. I check the light meter once or twice if the light doesn't change drastically. The focusing (distance-reading) isn't so critical since I've gotten so used to using the same 50mm prime lens on this camera.

And any prime lens shorter than 50mm, I'm usually okay at this point. It's fun and brings me some surprises sometimes.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Some of the older EOS bodies work quite well as manual cameras and don't have complicated interfaces.

I have an EOS 650 -- the first EOS camera -- and mostly use it with old screwmount (M42) lenses with an adapter. It's fine for that. The interface is simple and, to my mind, fairly ergonomic. Usually I just set the aperture on the lens and let the camera choose the shutter speed.

The autofocus on it, however, is not good. It's accurate enough if you are careful with it but it takes a very long time to focus and sometimes hunts back and forth. I rarely if ever use it -- I have one EF mount lens and when I use it, I usually focus manually anyway.

Shooter
    35mm
    Without blinking I'm going to recommend the Nikon F6 and any of the MF Nikkors and also particularly the up and coming offerings from Zeiss. You want a viewfinder? Here's your viewfinder.
    What would Dziga Vertov do?

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by HerrBremerhaven
    Another nice system camera, with nice lenses, is the Pentax LX. This is still relatively compact, and very well made. I still know two professionals who use these for their work, one of whom is in his fifties and wears glasses.
    i agree.
    i sold my electronic mz-s and bought a LX some months ago. very nice camera indeed and good quality. Suburb light meter!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin