Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,992   Posts: 1,524,233   Online: 1108

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Dear Andy,

The bottle opener really is dead easy. Honest!

Cheers,

Roger (www.rogerandfrances.com)

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by theandy
    ...It's even two years older than me, therefore I guess I can call it "old" ;-)
    Well I guess we can call it old, or we can call you young!

The 7000 is the camera that started the revolution that we now call Automatic Focus, I started shooting the Minolta Cameras in the 60's and made a very good living with all of the models that have been introduced since then, but believe me, the 7000 is now considered "Old" it was revolutionary and many of the cameras that Minolta introduced were revolutionary, but things and time changes...

Again, be careful pulling the film out of the 7000 as you can damage the clutch in the take up spool, I know I have done it more than a couple of times.

R.

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by theandy
    Hey, thanks for the answers!

Ok, I think I'll just try to take off the ends with a bottle opener though it sounds a bit difficult to do that in complete darkness :-) Maybe I should practise that beforehand...

Thanks! Andy
    In high school, I was taught the same method that the one previous poster mentioned. Rewind the film as usual, but listen careful while doing so. you'll hear/feel a "click" as the film disengages from the winder. That means that all your exposed frames will be safely tucked away inside the cassette. Cut the shaped end off, and if you're using one of those mechanical loading reals, you can pre-start it in the light.

turn off the light, flick your wrists a few times and voila, easy work. No problem from there to load it into the developing tank so you can safely turn on the lights. It's quite easy when you get to know the feel/sound of the click.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Previously before I figured out my Elan 7n would leave the end of the film out after rewind using a custom function, I would just use a bottle opener to remove the end of the canister. Its a bit of a PITA but not horrible. A film picker would work too. B&H sells them and so might your local camera store.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Oh yes and don't do what I did when I first opened a 35mm cartridge with my 'bottle opener' (I think I described it as a can opener in my first posting - no idea why). I was too vigorous and when I popped the end off, the film bounced out, I had to spend the next five minutes on my hands and knees in pitch darkness feeling for the film (which was still quite tightly rolled up!).

Euan

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Just remember to open the end of the cartridge WITHOUT the protruding shaft. Kodak film cartrdges seem to be the toughest ... I can't remember "popping the end off" without distorting the rest of the thing.
    The others, Agfa, Fuji, Ilford, disassemble without distortion .. and I reload those.
    Carpe erratum!!

Ed Sukach, FFP.

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Ed Sukach
    Just remember to open the end of the cartridge WITHOUT the protruding shaft. Kodak film cartrdges seem to be the toughest ... I can't remember "popping the end off" without distorting the rest of the thing.
    The others, Agfa, Fuji, Ilford, disassemble without distortion .. and I reload those.
    Ed maybe this explains why I've never been able to open my Kodak film cannisters. Everyone always says it's easy, but I made a right mess of it. I just leave the leader out which means I can roll the first bit of film onto the reel in the light.

Andy, whatever you decide to do it's a good idea to practice in the light with an unused or unimportant roll of film. Best of luck and have fun.
    Carol

"Out, damned spot! out, I say!" - Lady MacBeth

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I tend to leave a tag out when I rewind. It is pretty easy: just rewind fairly slowly and you will feel the resistance and hear a slight click as the film comes off the take up spool. I do, though, miss the old style 35mm cassettes where you banged the top on a table in the dark room and the bottom flew off. You could reuse them again and again without buying special reloadable cassettes.

David.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    There is also a rather handy gadget which you mount to the darkroom wall. The outer part is shaped like a 'U' -- you slide the end of the cassette into it and then just tilt the cassette to the side and the end comes off.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Just remember to open the end of the cartridge WITHOUT the protruding shaft
    I always get told that, but that's the end I can more easily remove. I don't know why, but I've never been able to get the flat end off. Either way, it just takes practice.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin