Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,222   Posts: 1,532,422   Online: 1138

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Shooter
    35mm
    [QUOTE=Ricardo41]Not wanting to flog a dead horse: but why, as I've just discovered, did Nikon decide to have a proprietary remote cable release system? What happened to the good old fashioned system of threads in the shutter release button?

The proprietary remote cord costs $60 and is, on top of that, sold out everywhere....

ricardo

Ricardo

You can get a generic cord, for under $10.00 (new) on E-bay. They work very well. And for that price, get two of them.

Kiron Kid

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Kiron Kid
    Ricardo
    You can get a generic cord, for under $10.00 (new) on E-bay. They work very well. And for that price, get two of them.

Kiron Kid
    Thanks for the tip. I was able to pick a Nikon cord up on ebay for a reasonable price.

ricardo

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by FrankB
    Another reason why I went for the F80 instead...
    Ahh, but the F80 won't meter with manual-focus lenses... a bigger sin to me.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Ricardo41
    I take it the grid screen that can be bought extra is user installable?
    Absolutely. It takes about five minutes. I've put E screens in three Nikon bodies without any casualties.

Shooter
    35mm
    Yes a DB-15 but the guy would have to have another cable with a DB-15 female at one end and a Nikon 10 pin connector at the other. The difficult part is to find the Nikon 10 pin connector. I don't know of any source that has this connector. Many third party cables has a 10 pin connector that fit into the Nikon socket but without the threaded locking collar. I think the guy in your link wanted to keep using the MC-12A on older Nikon with 2 pin connector. That is why he has the DB-15 in between.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Just a correction about the custom function of the F100. You can't make it leave the film leader out- I was thinking of the F4. Sorry about the confusion!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Thanks Tony. Film pickers are light, cheap and just a little bit of a pain anyway.

Shooter
    35mm
    The power film leader extractor that most labs have, works very well and painless and sometimes sells for very cheap on ebay.

ann

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    where did you find a remote control device for 10 dollars on ebay. would like to find one of those myself
    http://www.aclancyphotography.com

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Nikon can set your body to leave the leader out, but it's not selectable via a custom function unfortunately.

As to the 10pin cables, that socket is also capable of datalink on the F90x, F100 and F5. And the cables allow meter activation and AF on a half-press without worrying about tripping the shutter. The socket is common to all of the pro and semi-pro AF bodies from the F90 on (not sure if the F4 has one, I think it does) and there's an adaptor to mate to the earlier electronic release for the MD-4 and MD11/12/15. It is more flexible than a plain cable release (which is why plain cable release

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin