Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,947   Posts: 1,557,850   Online: 813

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Shooter
    35mm
    Images

2 Quick Questions About Nikon F 100

Ok, I just got my F 100. Two quick questions: Some years ago I owned an N80. I remember that I was able to enable a "grid" in the screen for help in composing pictures. Does the F 100 have that option? I can't seem to find it in the handbook.

Second question: does the F 100 have any "idiosyncracies" I should be aware of?

thanks for the assistance.
    ricardo

Shooter
    Multi Format
    1. You have to buy and install the E screen. They cost around forty bucks. They are a very worthwhile purchase. The F80/N80 is the only 35mm camera I know of that has the grid built in and switchable.

2. Not really. It handles a lot better with big lenses if you use the MB-15 grip, and it is a lot friendlier on batteries. (6 AAs in the MB-15 last almost three times as long as four AAs in the camera do.) If you bought a used camera, the very oldest ones had a really lousy rewind fork that Nikon replaced under warranty. If you google you can probably find pictures of the forks to determine which one you have.

The F100 is a great camera. I really enjoy mine.

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Jim:

thanks for the quick reply. I have a newer model, no cheap rewind fork on it.

I take it the grid screen that can be bought extra is user installable?

ricardo

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Echo Jim's thoughts - congrats, they are a great camera. I really enjoy mine.

Not really an idiosyncrasy, but you'll need a film pciker if you wish to change films before finishing. The lack of a mirror lockup can be annoying.

But apart from a couple of minor differences, you've effectively got a F5 for half the price.

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Not wanting to flog a dead horse: but why, as I've just discovered, did Nikon decide to have a proprietary remote cable release system? What happened to the good old fashioned system of threads in the shutter release button?

The proprietary remote cord costs $60 and is, on top of that, sold out everywhere....

ricardo

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Ricardo41
    Not wanting to flog a dead horse: but why, as I've just discovered, did Nikon decide to have a proprietary remote cable release system? What happened to the good old fashioned system of threads in the shutter release button?

The proprietary remote cord costs $60 and is, on top of that, sold out everywhere....

ricardo
    It's called ADP(additional dealer profit)
    Heavily sedated for your protection.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    You will really like your F100. I very quickly bought the MB15 grip and totally agree with above about battery life, makes it handle much better as well, especially in the vertical.

You can customize a lot of functions and one of those is leaving the film leader out after rewinding. You should have the instruction manual as you will need it to work out all those custom bits!

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Ricardo41

Another reason why I went for the F80 instead...
    The destination is important, but so is the journey

Shooter
    Multi Format
    How complicated is the cable? Some of the mini cables are fairly simple to make with a few parts from somebody like Radio shack or similar. I built one for an old Ricoh with just a plug, a switch and a little wire.

Shooter
    Multi Format

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin