Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,523   Posts: 1,572,257   Online: 736

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Same as Jim and Richard. I have 5 Fs, 2 black, 3 chrome, all with plain prisms. Gave up on metered prisms when my last one died, decades ago, and have never missed it.

Cheers,

Roger

T42

Shooter
    35mm
    Hi Folks.

I also have and use the F and an F2. I would recommend either to anyone serious about film photography. I have a slight preference for my F2, but I readily pick up and load either or both when planning a shoot.

The meters in both work, but the F has a condition whereby the meter seems to report light when none is present. From what I have read, the CdS cells seem to "leak" a little in near darkness. This is interpreted as brighter light than is really present, and which can cause underexposure by several stops in extremely low light, such as in room lighting at night. In bright daylight this leakage is such a small factor in the equation that the meter reads correctly, as compared to my Sekonic L308B hand meter.

I use the hand meter anyway, and rarely even care what the inboard meter thinks. If I could find a couple of nice plain prisms, I think I would just take the metering heads off altogether.

Shooter
    35mm
    Considering that the FTn meter head came out when I was in high school (I graduated the year the Beatles broke up) you are more likely to find meter heads that don't work properly than those that do. The big problem is that all the photomic heads used a resistive strip inside a large ring to control meter position. As the resistive strip wears out, gets old, gets corroded, the meter becomes wildly erratic. It will be very hard to find new VR rings to fix this. Perhaps someone makes aftermarket resistive strips.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I have seen desilvering in a great many plain prisms made for the Nikon F. Something to watch out for.

Seems to be less of a problem with the metered prisms in my experience.
    If it says Zeiss or Rollei, the answer is YES!
    My Flickr Gallery

Shooter
    Large Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike Kovacs
    I have seen desilvering in a great many plain prisms made for the Nikon F.......Seems to be less of a problem with the metered prisms in my experience.
    I agree. More than half the plain prisms I've seen have desilvering, but I've never seen this on the meter prisms. Wonder why? A repair tech told me once that the meter prism could be modified to fit the plain prism housing. I've never tried this.
    —Eric

T42

Shooter
    35mm

desilvering on plain prism heads

More than half the plain prisms I've seen have desilvering, but I've never seen this on the meter prisms. Wonder why?
    Guess I have good reason to be thankful for that big clunky metering head now. As I think about it, it works just fine with a good hand meter.

Thanks,
    Henry

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I just recently sold my last two F's with FTN heads. Never had any trouble with the FTN heads or F-36 motors on either one.

I had a F2 w/motor, but it just never felt right. I use 35mm very little now and when I do I use a F3HP or EL2.

Mike

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin