Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,951   Posts: 1,557,956   Online: 1011

View Poll Results: What focusing do you use mostly.

Voters
29. You may not vote on this poll
  • RF

11 37.93%
  • SLR

15 51.72%
  • GroundGlass(LF)

5 17.24%
  • Guess focus (old folders and broken RF's)

2 6.90%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Ole
    Shooter
    Large Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Marko, that poll is irrelevant to the question and doesn't belong in this category.

Take it easy on the polls, please.
    -- Ole Tjugen, Luddite Elitist
    Norway

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I'm been driven so crazy by these needless polls, I forget !

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I think the poll should be revised a bit. First thing is that unless you have a Nikon SLR with a waist level finder (or an old Exacta), then ground glass focus would not belong in a 35mm question. There is also an issue of scale focusing, which is not really guess focusing. A little bit of practice, and lenses mark with distance scales, can get quite accurate in focus images.

Other things would be the ability to change screens on some SLRs. The split circle screen on manual focus SLRs is sometimes called a rangefinder. There are also smooth screens for some SLRs, so perhaps those could be termed ground glass, though different from a waist level finder or large format.

As to your question on how to focus a rangefinder. I find there are two good approaches that work quickly. One is to have your lens at infinity, then turn it one direction until your viewfinder image comes into focus. The variation on that is to have the lens always at closest focus. This idea tries to get you to mostly move the lens in one direction, rather than hunting back and forth.

A little aside on this is that many old folder cameras can allow mounting of an external rangefinder. You focus with that device, read the distance, then transfer that to the distance scale marked on the lens. In a way that is guess focusing, since the rangefinder is not coupled to the lens, but in practice can be very accurate.

Your troubles with the old Rollei could be a result of somewhat dirty or fogged optics. When the rangefinder optics are clean, then the contrast is good enough to easily focus. Another technique issue is keeping your eye centred in the viewfinder, which can take some practice. Just keep using it more, and i think you will figure it out.

Ciao!

Gordon

Shooter
    35mm RF
    I read your original post incorrectly. I thought you had the Rollei 35 RF. I see you mention only a Rollei RF. That could only refer to the Rollei XF 35. However, the same suggestions that others have offered still apply.

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Hear! Hear!

Marko, you are FAR too keen on meaningless polls.

Cheers,

Roger

dmr
    Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by Markok765
    can you give me some tips on how to focus faster, of should i stick with my slrs?
    Just look for a patch of detail of almost any kind in your subject and focus on that. Sometimes turning your camera 90 degrees to focus helps.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    I aim the AF patch to where I like to focus and press "lock" with my thumb

"What Would Zeus Do?"
    KBPhotoRantPhotoPermitAPUG flickr Robot

Shooter
    Multi Format
    1. I cannot cast a vote because the focusing method I use depends on which camera I am using.

2. The SLR voting choice is meaningless because how I focus with an SLR depends on which focusing screen (split-image, microprism, ground matte, etc.) is installed in the SLR.

3. How will the results from this poll help you with your focusing problem?

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Roger Hicks
    Hear! Hear!

Marko, you are FAR too keen on meaningless polls.

Cheers,

Roger
    Far toofar!
    Marko Kovacevic
    Blog
    Youtube

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    If the RF patch is no longer bright enough, one method, cited by Rick Oleson, is to put a small piece of electrical tape over the VF window. I've found that with older FSU RFs the method works well.

Kent
    Max Power, he's the man who's name you'd love to touch! But you mustn't touch! His name sounds good in your ear, but when you say it, you mustn't fear! 'Cause his name can be said by anyone!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin