Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,895   Posts: 1,520,944   Online: 926

View Poll Results: What focusing do you use mostly.

Voters
29. You may not vote on this poll
  • RF

11 37.93%
  • SLR

15 51.72%
  • GroundGlass(LF)

5 17.24%
  • Guess focus (old folders and broken RF's)

2 6.90%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Shooter
    Medium Format
    Blog Entries
    Images

How to focus RFs?

I am having a hard time(Really hard) focusing my rollei rf. i am used to slrs and everything is a fous indicator. but in rfs you have to find an edge and focus in that. its hard! can you give me some tips on how to focus faster, of should i stick with my slrs? I think slrs
    Last edited by Markok765; 06-18-2006 at 11:05 AM. Click to view previous post history. Reason: Bored
    Marko Kovacevic
    Blog
    Youtube

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    That's pretty much how you focus an RF. Of course, it's possible that the VF and RF mirror aren't as clean as possible, but you do need a line or some other demarcation of contrast that will help you get it lined up. Over time, if the patch is bright enough, you will learn to do it quickly even with just the slightest bit of contrast.

allan

Shooter
    Multi Format
    You don't need to find a straight contour. You simply turn the lens, watch the "floating" secondary image as it moves towards the patch and once they coincide, you're set.
    FED ZORKI SURVIVAL SITE
    RANGEFINDERFILIPINAS
    Zorkikat.Com

"不管黑猫白猫能抓到老鼠就是好猫。" 邓小平
    It doesn't matter if a cat is black or white, so long as it catches mice.-邓小平

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by ZorkiKat
    You don't need to find a straight contour. You simply turn the lens, watch the "floating" secondary image as it moves towards the patch and once they coincide, you're set.
    Yea, but isnt it easier when the whole frame goes in and out of foucs, the you make fine ajustments with the groundglass?
    Marko Kovacevic
    Blog
    Youtube

DBP

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    As I get older and my sight continues to decay, I appreciate rangefinders more and more. With any ground glass focusing system, I am always a little concerned that it is the camera that I can't focus on, and not the image. But then I first started wering glasses when I was younger than Marko, so focus has been an issue for a lon time.

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Marko, getting used to a rangefinder will take some time, especially if you're coming from a modern-day SLR that does it all: focus, autoexpose, advance and rewind.

One thing that is often forgotten in the rangefinder discussion is that not everyone adapts quickly to working with these style of cameras.

You make a good point about RFs -- that everything is in focus all of the time except for the little RF patch, while an SLR will show you more definitively what is in and out of focus. Plus, some SLRs have a depth-of-field preview (although it can be difficult to discern what is in and out of focus on a very dark screen).

The first thing to check is to make sure the Rollei 35 RF (aka Bessa-R2) rangefinder is accurate. Do that by putting the lens on infinity and focusing at a distant object. The object should be in perfect alignment horizontally and vertically.

Once you're sure the RF is good, then do as the others have said.

Take your time. Practice means a lot with rangefinders, and soon you'll have it down as second nature.

You just have to think about this as a different style of photography.

If you're using the 40mm Sonnar and fast film, you can use hyperfocal settings and then just use the viewfinder to compose your shot. In this case, the RF has an advantage over an SLR, because everything is in focus, while with an SLR, you'll be tempted to focus and refocus.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by elekm
    Marko, getting used to a rangefinder will take some time, especially if you're coming from a modern-day SLR that does it all: focus, autoexpose, advance and rewind.
    A 30 Year old slr with nothing automatic(not even a hot shoe)and only a ttl light meter. i dont like auto modes(no creative controls) I dont even need AF for a soccer game with my 200mm
    Marko Kovacevic
    Blog
    Youtube

DBP

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    One of the other advantages of rangefinders is low light photography. With a decent rangefinder, if there is enough light to see there is enough to focus. SLRs, TLRs, and Vview cameras fade out much earlier.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Its actually quite easy for me
    Marko Kovacevic
    Blog
    Youtube

DBP

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Give it 30 years. Or try picking out faces in a nightclub when you are shooting EI 2000, at f/2 and 1/30th.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin