Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,821   Posts: 1,581,683   Online: 936

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Shooter
    35mm

F2A Strange problem

I've owned a F2A for 25+yrs and it has been trouble free for all that time. Except recently it has started to produce a fault. Only when it is used on a tripod with a cable release (nikon). Then I get I thin line ( about .25mm) of overexposure on the far left edge of the frame. This is when viewed from the emulsion side. I've tried the cable release on a FM and that is fine. It is annoying becuase I like to print fullframe with a thin keyline masked down from the rebate. Any thoughts?

Dave L

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Dave, from your description, the shutter may be dragging. It is probably time for a Professional CLA (Clean, Lubricate and Adjust).
    Tom Hoskinson

Everything is analog - even digital :D

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Shutter bounce will also cause overexposure on one edge.
    There's an internal brake mechanism that is supposed to keep the shutter from bouncing back like that. It should be done as part of a CLA, but when you take it in BRING A NEGATIVE TO SHOW THE PROBLEM.
    Heavily sedated for your protection.

Shooter
    35mm
    Thanks to both John and Tom. I did describe the problem to my local repair shop and they couldn't understand why it only happened with the cable release and not when being handheld. looks like a CLA is the way to go. Thanks again.

Dave L

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I am just theorizing, but this tri-pod specific problem may have to do with a shutter speed that you are more likely to use while mounted rather than handheld? I also have had a cable release that "stuck" in some cameras but not in others, but it was hardly a high qaulity item - not the case here.
    Just thinking out loud - hope you get this licked soon!

Peter.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Good theory about the shutter speed.

Sounds like a CLA is in order. Mechanical cameras need them occasionally. The F2A is a good enough camera that it's worth the cost, and you'll be able to use the camera for many more years without worry.

Shooter
    35mm
    Thanks to Jim and Pete. Good theory about the longer exposures when on the tripod.

Dave L

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by Tom Hoskinson
    Dave, from your description, the shutter may be dragging. It is probably time for a Professional CLA (Clean, Lubricate and Adjust).
    Where would be a good place to get a CLA done on an F2? I have heard that Nikon no longer services older film cameras. Are there any trustworthy places out there?

Shooter
    35mm RF
    KEH does repairs. They seem to be reputable.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by snegron
    Where would be a good place to get a CLA done on an F2? I have heard that Nikon no longer services older film cameras. Are there any trustworthy places out there?
    OK, Nikonphiles, come out of the shadows! I recall a thread here that was pretty much this exact question - I did a search, but can't find it! There was a slew of shops and individuals in there that had enough credentials and reccomendations to do open heart surgery blind folded! And all over the continent(s).
    Anyone recall where/what it was?
    Sorry, wish I could help more!

Peter.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin