Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,499   Posts: 1,543,234   Online: 1002

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Bags

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I use an army surplus WWII medic's shoulder bag for night and morning photography around town. Very nondescript. Enough room for an SLR,2 lenses in padded cases,and film.
    Lowepro top loader when shooting "events".Room for my Nikon N60 and 28-200 or 70-300mm lens and film.
    Also have 4 cases for storage. Two tamrac bags and 2 no name. Lots of padding and tons of space.

Mike

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    My Nikon F is usually transported in an old Nikon case with room for the body, four prime lenses, a few accessories, and great protection. However, it is much easier to work out of a photographer's vest. Four lenses and accessories for a Leica M4 fit neatly in a tiny Tamroc bag with the camera and one lens around my neck. An ancient fiber case is very light and works well enough for my ancient large format gear.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    For my 35mm gear, I have a Lowepro Nature Trekker and for my MF gear I use a Kelty Redwing 3100 (not a traditional photo backpack) in conjunction with photobackpacker's cases. I can fit my RB67 and its 3 lenses and prism, my Mamiya 645 1000s with 2 lenses and there's lots of room for filters, film and other stuff. The cases from photobackpacker really protects my stuff and is easier to work with than those velcro dividers in most other photo bags.

I have numerous other little bags for when I want to travel light.

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    I bought a cheap aluminium case designed to hold a drill and bits. I pulled the interior out and lined it with foam. It's pretty light and keeps most of my stuff together. I wish I could find a cylindrical container to keep my filters together.
    Carol

"Out, damned spot! out, I say!" - Lady MacBeth

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Carol
    I bought a cheap aluminium case designed to hold a drill and bits. I pulled the interior out and lined it with foam. It's pretty light and keeps most of my stuff together. I wish I could find a cylindrical container to keep my filters together.
    Get a box of Pringles (don't eat them, they're fatal). Empty it, and there you are !!

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike Kennedy
    I use an army surplus WWII medic's shoulder bag for night and morning photography around town. Very nondescript. Enough room for an SLR,2 lenses in padded cases,and film.
    Lowepro top loader when shooting "events".Room for my Nikon N60 and 28-200 or 70-300mm lens and film.
    Also have 4 cases for storage. Two tamrac bags and 2 no name. Lots of padding and tons of space.

Mike
    On this Japanese photographer's site (I think) I read about the possibility of carrying photo gear in a Pampers bag (I guess it's the bag mommies use to carry their babies diapers - used or not, I am not sure :-). This is ingenious, as there is no way a thief might get interested in a Pampers bag (unless he/she spots you getting the Nikon in or out of it).

I don't care about camouflage techniques, since I always carry my Colt Python Magum .357 long barrel on my belt and I know how to aim and shoot a running thiefing rascal who tries to get away with my bag (hey, Jason, how 'bout you ??)...

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Lots of equipment...lots of bags.

Narrowed down to 35mm, the heavier Canon SLR stuff usually gets carted around in a variety of Lowepro bags. The Leica equipment, being lighter and smaller, goes in a Billingham Hadley.

I have a very old Banana Republic photo vest that I actually prefer to any bag. The only problem with it is trying to remember which pocket holds what.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Well, I just counted and found I have eight bags, not including lighting gear bags. So the one I use the most for my 35mm outfit is a LowePro Nova 4, though I almost wish I had the slightly larger Nova 5. I tend to like most of the LowePro choices, and just got a CompuTrekker AW for my 4x5 outfit; the back computer slot fits Quickload/Readyload boxes perfectly.

The smallest and lightest bag I have for really light shooting is an Eagle Creek waist pack. This just holds one 35mm body and two lenses, or a lens and a Speedlight. I sometimes take this with my Nova 4 for use at concerts, since I can have two or three cameras around my neck, and put a few lenses in the waist pack for changing to get different shots. Sounds busy, but it somehow all works together.

Ciao!

Gordon

Shooter
    35mm
    I have an old large Billingham that gets used mostly for landscape work, but it does make you stand out a bit around town, so I use a leather rucksack bought many years ago in Italy.

DaveL

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    I have a couple of large f64 bags, a Crumpler FuxDeluxe for my 4x5" Tech 5 kit, a knapsack designed for laptop computers that I use for my 8x10" Gowland PocketView, a ScopePak for the birding kit, a Domke for the Super-8 kit, and several Perrin leather cases for other things.

If you like the classic look of Billingham or Fogg cases, Perrin cases might be for you. They don't have the flexible divider systems of modern bags, but they are beautifully made with California saddle leather and heavy stitching and hold up very well over time. Most people don't know what they are, so you can find them cheaply on eBay. My favorite is one designed for 4x5" press cameras. It holds my Tech V with the grip attached, ready to shoot.
    flickr--http://www.flickr.com/photos/davidagoldfarb/
    Photography (not as up to date as the flickr site)--http://www.davidagoldfarb.com/photo
    Academic (Slavic and Comparative Literature)--http://www.davidagoldfarb.com

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin