Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,568   Posts: 1,545,453   Online: 1122

Shooter
    35mm

What does this mean=Help.

Just bought a used Canon AE-1, with the silver body, i got 3 lenses with it.
    The one lens has this on. B&H/Canon lens, FD 24mm 1:2.8 and S.S.C in RED Capatial letters.
    What does S.S.C. mean, also it has another small thin lens screwed on to it.

It reads, Rolev M.G. 35MM Sky in Capatial Letter, does the add on lens means it is a 35MM Lens instead of a 24MM Lens DAAAAAA??

Thanks=Mike.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    SSC doesn't mean much - just Super Spectra Coating which is just a name Canon gave to their lens coating.

The "lens" is in fact a filter. A "Skylight" filter. It is designed to block UV light and may also be slightly tinted to give a warm-up effect. Many people put these filters (or UV filters, which are similar) on all their lenses to protect the front element of the lens.

The "35mm" probably refers to the filter's thread size.

Cheers, Bob.

Shooter
    35mm
    Thank You Bob-Mike.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Quote Originally Posted by papisa
    . . . It reads, Rolev M.G. 35MM Sky in Capatial Letter, does the add on lens means it is a 35MM Lens instead of a 24MM Lens DAAAAAA??

Thanks=Mike.
    35mm is quite small for a filter diameter on such a lens. Does it read 55mm?

Shooter
    35mm
    Jim, DA, yes it does read 55mm, some of the paint was gone and it looked like a 3 and it was the same size of the lens, should of see that.

Jim, did you get the pictures i sent you the other day of the Glass Plate Negatives, i e-mailed you first before i sent the pictures to you.

Thanks Mike.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Quote Originally Posted by papisa
    . . . Jim, did you get the pictures i sent you the other day of the Glass Plate Negatives, i e-mailed you first before i sent the pictures to you.

Thanks Mike.
    I got them. Thanks for thinking of me.

Jim

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Canon used the name SC or spectra coating on the earlier lenses and SSC (super spectra coating) which is their version of multi coating.

Obviously the SSC lenses will have better flare control and the later FD lenes were all multi coated but not marked as such.

Probably would unscrew that filter and bin it as it just adds another unnecessary piece of glass to your lens.

If you feel that you need a filter, companies like Hoya and BW make high quality multi coated filters that don't affect the lens performance.

Cheers, Tony

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin