Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,872   Posts: 1,583,510   Online: 972

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Another advantage of a 'drive : I have found when shooting handheld at marginal shutter speeds that using the motor set for " continuous" results in the second frame being noticeably sharper than the first.
    Why this is I have no idea. The extra weight seems to help too.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I agree that the drive does make the camera sit better in your hand but it is heavy, takes a lot of batteries and is very noisy.

I used one on my FM2 but eventually took it off because of the noise thing ( I was using at weddings) but that may not trouble you.

Shooter
    35mm
    I have the MD-12 for my old FM and I wouldn't worry about using it. I don't use the motor very often only because when I use the FM I want a small camera and with the MD-12 the FM weighs almost the same as the F3HP with motor or the F5.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I just put my FE2 body and MD12 with batteries, on the scales, total weight 1,189gms.

My F3HP body with MD4 drive and batteries weighs, 1462gms, which makes it heavier by 273gms.

Before my FE2 became my second, not used too much camera, I managed to put about 1,500 rolls of film through it.

I work on the basis that each roll of film is 40 shutter firings, this equates to around 60,000 shutter operations. This FE2 is one of the first available so it's obviously the older shutter arrangement as it has the honeycomb looking shutter. My film records show that since 1985, when I bought my F3, I have put close to 300 rolls through, which is another 12,000 shutter operations.

This brings the total to around 72,000 shutter firings.

Currently that camera is being used by a young woman learning photography and I think she has put through around 25 rolls.

The camera shutter seems to be working quite well, it may of course drop it's lunch at any tick of the shutter.

My oldest F3 has done around 180,000 shutter cycles and is still going quite strong. It has only done 1,125 shutter cycles this year which equates to 45 rolls of film.

At the time that I bought my FE2 camera, a profesional photographer also bought one. His camera shutter failed about about 3½ months later, after doing about 60,000 clicks.

Generally speaking, if a manufacturer declares that a camera is good for a certain amount of shutter operations, then it should be able to do at least that, and then some.

I would suggest a motor drive will enhance the camera, for a lot of things. I use a drive when photographing people, as it allows me to keep the eye on the viewfinder.

I take drives off for all other times, to save weight and space.

Mick.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin