Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,812   Posts: 1,581,557   Online: 964

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Shooter
    Multi Format

Motor drive for Nikon FE2 / FM2

I have the opportunity of picking up an MD-12 motor drive for $35.00. It's a tool that I would use sparingly.Maybe for a photo shoot of our local Rugby teams in action.
    My concern is that both of my Nikon's were purchased 2nd hand and have never been C.L.Aed. Would the extra mechanical stress of shooting with an MD-12 pose any potential harm?

Thanks in Advance,
    Mike

Shooter
    Large Format
    I have the FM2/MD12 combo. The MD12 is not a very fast drive, so if your camera is operating correctly now, the addition of the MD12 should not be a problem.
    —Eric

DBP

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    My FE2 is very old and used, but the MD-12 works great. The combination fits well in the hand, and I leave mine on unless I am really trying to reduce weight.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    You should be fine using it, even for continuous bursts. Two advantages of having it on besides the motor driven frame rate: the extra weight can sometimes make the camera steadier, which helps with longer lenses; and it is easier to do Orton imaging using the multi-exposure switch.

Supposedly, an FE-2 or FM2 should be good out to 150000 shutter actuations. Obviously some will not last that long, and some would go longer than that, but that represents over 4000 rolls of 36 exposure film. Adding on an MD-12 drive should not change the likelyhood of shutter failure.

Ciao!

Gordon

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Mike,

Another advantage of having the motor drive attached to the camera, and something that I used to mention in my workshops, is that for hand holding a bracketed exposure the composition from shot to shot is more consistent. What normally happens when you hand hold a 35mm camera without a winder or motor and bracket an image, is the camera tends to rock forward as you advance the film with your thumb and the film advance. As a result of this movement the camera needs to be realigned to take the next shot.

Rich
    Richard A. Nelridge
    http://www.nelridge.com

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Thanks all!!
    Think I shall go for it.

Mike

Shooter
    Multi Format
    The FE2 and FM2/FM2n are rated to 50,000 exposures (only the F, F2, F3, F4, F5, and F6 and their ilk are rated to 150,000) but otherwise I agree with all the advice you've gotten. The MD-12 is a great addition to these cameras. It is a little battery hungry, but this is a small price to pay for the convenience. Even when shooting static subjects I find that the drive makes handheld, spontaneous shooting a lot more convenient.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I always thought the FE/FM/FA models were rated for 100k shutter actuations, with the F models rated at 150k and FG/EM at 50k?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by sillyconguru
    I always thought the FE/FM/FA models were rated for 100k shutter actuations, with the F models rated at 150k and FG/EM at 50k?
    http://mir.com.my/rb/photography/har...comb/index.htm

http://mir.com.my/rb/photography/har...s/fm/part5.htm (for older FM and FE models)

This well known Nikon site lists 100k. I saw another that had 150k, though I probably got it confused with the F3 shutter. The older Copal shutter on the original FM or FE probably is only good for 50k. Regardless, that is many many rolls of film. I personally have not seen anyone do 50k images with any of these older manual wind Nikons, though I have seen a few F4 and F5 bodies that needed shutter replacement . . . implying they might have gone that far.

More likely problems are the mirror mechanism or film winder gear train having issues, though those thankfully seem to be rare. Something much more common is the foam wearing out, though often only from age deterioration.

I still use both an FM and FE for work, though without any motor drive attached. Other than cleaning maintenance, I had the mirror in the FM come loose after a rough ride in an offroad race truck, though the repair was fairly simple and relatively low cost. Same FM also got drowned by a rouge wave, easily solved with a good cleaning. I would not hesitate to buy another of either series, in the event I actually might need a replacement.

Ciao!

Gordon

Shooter
    35mm
    Grab it!

Kiron Kid

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin