Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,506   Posts: 1,543,518   Online: 1027

Shooter
    35mm

request your suggestions

Hello,
    In a previous thread I asked about TC's because of a trip I'm planning to Haida Gwaii. I will be upgrading 2 lenses and a camera body. As I have an old Canon 75-300 usm lens, this will be upgraded with the latest Canon 70-300 lens. I also use a Sigma 170-500 and this will be upgraded to a Canon 100-400 lens. In addition, I have an A2E which will be replaced with another EOS3.
    Many of you on here have purchased used gear and seem satisfied with the purchases. I have never bought anything but new gear and am reticent to change this method. However, with the cost of the trip plus the upgrades I wish to make plus a new photo printer the cost is several thousands of dollars. It would be nice to reduce this a bit. Can any of you suggest anyone or any company that you have purchased Canon gear from that you would recommend?
    As you can gather I shoot film and have no wish to go digital. I would buy the Canon 1.4TC but understand it is not compatible with the Canon 100-400. It is my hope that some of you might be able to offer suggestions that would maintain the quality of the gear I want but reduce the cost at least a little. Thank you for any and all help.

Kindest regards,

Tim

DBP

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I have not bought Canon gear from KEH, but have bought Nikon, Pentax, and some other brands. The quality ratings are always conservative. I can, and do, recommend them without hesitation.

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    I second KEH.

Shooter
    Medium Format

Ditto...

Quote Originally Posted by waynecrider
    I second KEH.
    I completed a first transaction with them for an SD power back for my RB67. Description said excellent, but using their own scale, which I use on my auction site template to rate what I am selling, would rate an excellent plus. In a comparison between the two sites, some of their stuff is a mite overpriced, there are some really good deals for a lot of items. Guess it's the discriminating shopper thing... Plan, look, plan again, look some more!
    Patrick

something witty and profound needs to be inserted here...

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    I was very reluctant to buy used gear at one time as well, but then I bought some used gear from KEH and now I have no reservations about used. With KEH you can return it if you don't like it and they have a most conservative rating system. I just bought an EOS body and a Sigma lens, both rated as EX-, that appeared to have just been taken from the original packaging just before they were shipped to me. If you are buying from someplace like ebay, then yes, be very wary, but if you are buying from someplace that has a solid reputation and offers 30 days to return with no questions asked, then have at it.

- Randy

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I don't rely on my gear for a living, so if it fails, I'm not taking a big hit...with that understanding:

I haven't bought a new fim camera in 20 years. A couple of digitoys for the wife, a la Staples, but nothing serious. I've only been skunked once and the seller made good, so I can't really complain.

Good, older equipment is still good equipment, just older. It just requires a bit more patience and homework. Sometimes, nay many times, the older stuff is better than the newer stuff...just ask people how they feel about their tried and true Hassys, Rolleis, Bessas, X-700s and Nikons...

Shooter
    Medium Format
    I'm curious about your rationale for getting new equipment...is something wrong with what you currently have? Just a question as I find for me I do better to exercise what I already own than look for something different...

My observations on your proposed equipment purchase:
    1. There is an awful lot of overlap between the two lenses you are going to purchase, it would probably make more sense to get one or the other. The lenses you currently have are more different and seem to complement each other better in terms of focal length.

2. I own two teleconverters, and have played around with them quite a bit, and the result is I've stopped using them entirely. They just don't add much value for me. There are a few shots that are exceptions, but I had to take a bunch of photos with them to identify what those images were. Have you tried a teleconverter before? Taking your once-in-a-lifetime shot with a piece of equipment you aren't familiar enough with to have confidence in would concern me. I hope you intend to do lots of rolls with the equipment and look at results before you leave.

Just my questions, don't lose any sleep. Good luck.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by reellis67
    <snip>
    but if you are buying from someplace that has a solid reputation and offers 30 days to return with no questions asked, then have at it.

- Randy
    When did it change? KEH return policy used to be 14 days no questions asked. 30 days if there was a defect.
    I've bought several things from them in the past few years. I only had an issue with a lens once, and their return policy resolved it.
    Chris

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Hmmm, I have, in my entire life, bought exactly three camera bodies and perhaps, a handful of lenses "new". Everything else, has been purchased "used".

KEH has never disappointed.

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin