Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,988   Posts: 1,524,070   Online: 1049

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by mgb74
    Great little camera, as were the similar Olympus and Minolta RFs. Others were also good, but not as compact.

I have a couple and use them with the 625 adapter from the gentleman in the Netherlands. Seems to meter just fine. I used them for quite some time as my camping and canoeing camera, until retired in favor of an Olympus XA and Minox 35.

Still a great "walk around the city" camera.
    Provided people arnt asses and call the cops on you (to see what I mean : http://kb244.deviantart.com/journal/9335485/ )

lol, whats the world coming to when yer testing the meter of the canonet pointing it up at the sky and back down, that people feel the need to call the cops on you cuz you got a camera and that you might be a 'stalker'
    -Karl Blessing
    Karl Blessing.com
    The Bokeh
    Color Film always existed. It's just the world was always black and white till recently.

dmr
    Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by kb244
    Anyone have any experience with this camera,
    This has become my primary low-light camera. About a year ago I got my baptism by fire in camera repair, fixing a stuck shutter on it.

My last project has been to recalibrate the meter so it will work with ISO 1600 film. I'm planning to write this up as soon as I shoot a few more rolls with it. The initial results are encouraging.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by dmr
    This has become my primary low-light camera. About a year ago I got my baptism by fire in camera repair, fixing a stuck shutter on it.

My last project has been to recalibrate the meter so it will work with ISO 1600 film. I'm planning to write this up as soon as I shoot a few more rolls with it. The initial results are encouraging.
    When you get around to that writeup, you may want to consider doing a basic writeup on 'recalibrating' the meter so that it'll work accurately ( without adjustment beyound the calibration ) with 1.5v 625 batteries as opposed to the old 1.3v mercury cells.
    -Karl Blessing
    Karl Blessing.com
    The Bokeh
    Color Film always existed. It's just the world was always black and white till recently.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Congratulations on your Canonet QL17 GIII rangefinder. I too love the camera. Here are some of my notes that may or may not be of value to you.

PROS:
    Except for built-in light meter and flash guide number feather, camera operation is battery independent (my most important pro)
    Low cost
    Small size
    Lightweight
    Quiet operation
    Auto parallax correction
    Hot shoe and PC flash connections
    Aperture priority auto exposure mode
    Quick film load feature
    Auto or manual exposure modes
    Manual focus
    Fast 1.7 40mm fixed lens
    Attractive appearance
    Electronic flash sync at all shutter speeds
    Tripod socket centrally located on underside of body
    Has flash guide number feature that allows the diaphragm and focus mechanism to couple for automatic flash exposure

CONS:
    No depth of field scale on lens (my most important con)
    Foam light seals on inside of camera back deteriorate over time
    Hard to see f/stop and shutter speed numbers on lens barrel
    Shutter speed and f/stop controls are too close together on lens barrel
    Flash guide number feature does not work well
    Flash guide number feature requires batteries to function
    Uses obsolete mercury battery for light meter (PX625 work fine as substitute)
    1-second and ½ second shutter speeds missing
    It is hard to read exposure settings when the camera is mounted on a tall tripod
    Lens hood blocks one corner of the viewfinder
    Built-in light meter does not work in manual exposure mode

COMMENTS:
    1. Best f/stop is f/5.6
    2. The guide number feature is not as good as the Nikkor 45mm f/2.8 GN lens or the guide number feature of the Minolta Hi-Matic 9 rangefinder. It has only 3 guide number settings (metric 14, 20, and 28). The guide number feature does not function unless the camera is loaded with functioning batteries.
    3. Body is same size as Nikon L35 and Canon G5 (two other cameras I use) but it is too small for my hands when it comes to manual focusing and manual exposure control.
    4. Auto exposure lock (in auto exposure mode) is accomplished by slightly depressing the shutter release.
    5. Nice camera to carry as a backup.
    6. Small size, quiet operation, and non-intimidating appearance make it ideal for clandestine candids and street shooting.

dmr
    Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by kb244
    When you get around to that writeup, you may want to consider doing a basic writeup on 'recalibrating' the meter so that it'll work accurately ( without adjustment beyound the calibration ) with 1.5v 625 batteries as opposed to the old 1.3v mercury cells.
    I do plan on writing this up in more detail, but here's the Readers Digest Large Print version ...

The newer battery does make the meter "hotter" than with the older battery.

The procedure is basically the same, except you don't intentionally mis-calibrate it by exactly one f-stop.

The procedure is basically this:

1. Install a fresh battery. Start with known quantities if you can.

2. Mechanically adjust the meter for a known light level toward the low end of the scale. I used 1/15, f2.8, ISO 400 with the highly precise laboratory-grade standard light source. (A blank bathroom wall with the lights on dimmers.)

3. Electrically adjust the meter for a known light level toward the high end of the scale. I used 1/500, f11, ISO 400, which was out an east-facing window on a partly cloudy afternoon. Again, a laboratory-grade precision light source.

4. Check both of the above again. You'll find that the electrical adjustment affects the readings on the high end of the scale far more than at the low.

This is similar to the standard "two point calibration" or "zero and span calibration" used on clinical lab equipment.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin