Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,902   Posts: 1,521,210   Online: 1106

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

My new (sorta) Canonet GIII among broken cameras.

Long story short, I work at the Camera Center here in Eastown, Grand Rapids, Mi. Down in the basement are mostly dead/broken cameras from back when the store did repairs and such in-house, and as such there is a single dresser that has nothing but broken, dismantled, etc small 35mm compact and rangefinders. Among them was this Canonet GIII QL-17 missing a rewind knob. So I took a rewind knob off another GIII ( in much worse shape ), cleaned it up a bit and checked it over. The meter was dead but luckily unlike the many broken canonet 28s and A35F in the same drawer, the GIII can function mechanically and manually, the rangefinder also still seemed to work. So I did two test rolls thru the camera, and when those came out fine, I purchased a 48mm UV and 48mm Polarizer from the store. The little thing might become my small 'in the bag' 35mm camera that I can keep along side my larger Mamiya RB67 in the same bag (I currently keep a Canon FTb with a Canon 50mm f/1.4 S.S.C in the bag with it. )

Test Shot 1
    Kodak Gold 400, 1/60th @ f/1.7

Test Shot 2
    Kodak UltraTec ISO 6, developed by inspection in HC-110 1:100 @ 4:30/68F

*Click for full size scan (approx 2400 DPI)

Anyone have any experience with this camera, the threads were dinged up a lil so I forced the 48mm UV onto it so that its nice and secure ( and straight) so that I can screw things normally off and on the front ( I made sure to clean it up real nice before putting on the UV ), will I experience any vignetting if I pop on a standard 48mm polarizer on the front of the UV.
    -Karl Blessing
    Karl Blessing.com
    The Bokeh
    Color Film always existed. It's just the world was always black and white till recently.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    No experience with the camera but I wish I could find things like that !!!
    Cheers; Chris
    Hmm- Wonder if she'd notice if I bought that :)

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by kb244
    Anyone have any experience with this camera?,
    I have a couple of these gems, and am always amazed at the high quality of the negs they produce. By the way, try a compatible Wein cell in the correct size and you may find the meter works. I have a supply of the original mercury cells (none for sale) on ice, and if the meter is working it's usually very accurate.
    It makes a great camera for unobtrusive street shooting if you set the hyperfocal distance and shoot from the hip or very quickly.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by rosey
    I have a couple of these gems, and am always amazed at the high quality of the negs they produce. By the way, try a compatible Wein cell in the correct size and you may find the meter works. I have a supply of the original mercury cells (none for sale) on ice, and if the meter is working it's usually very accurate.
    It makes a great camera for unobtrusive street shooting if you set the hyperfocal distance and shoot from the hip or very quickly.
    we got a bunch of PX625 1.35V batteries in the store, none of them move the meter down from the top.
    -Karl Blessing
    Karl Blessing.com
    The Bokeh
    Color Film always existed. It's just the world was always black and white till recently.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I have a QL III bought mine in the 70's. Excellent camera, I can find no real faults, the case is falling apart, I carry mine with my 4X5 and 6X9 kits. I use a standard 625 1.5 battery and it seems to meter spot on. In other threads some folks report that the the meter can be adjusted for the 1.5 battery, but I don't know if mine is just out of tolerance and the 1.5 battery brings it back into tolerance or the circuit adjusts the voltage. I use a polorizer without any ill effects.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    My co-worker took the camera from me, filed down the battery contacts, poped in a 625 1.35V , set it on "A" and handed me the camera, and apparently the meter works now.
    -Karl Blessing
    Karl Blessing.com
    The Bokeh

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Congratulations on the find Karl,

I love my Canonet GIII, its a little gem of a camera.

Bill
    "Life moves pretty fast, if you don't stop and look around once and a while, you might just miss it."
    Ferris Bueller

Shooter
    Multi Format
    out of curiosity, any other goodies in any of those drawers. Maybe any old decrepit Nikons or old Nikkor lenses?

erie

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by epatsellis
    out of curiosity, any other goodies in any of those drawers. Maybe any old decrepit Nikons or old Nikkor lenses?

erie
    nada. The Canonet was probally the only gem in there, the rest were your typical plastic 70s to mid 90s compact 35mm cameras most without their backs, or they have the top disassembled and what not (most of the cameras in the drawer like 99.99% are whats considered not worth repairing and are kept for parts)
    -Karl Blessing
    Karl Blessing.com
    The Bokeh

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Great little camera, as were the similar Olympus and Minolta RFs. Others were also good, but not as compact.

I have a couple and use them with the 625 adapter from the gentleman in the Netherlands. Seems to meter just fine. I used them for quite some time as my camping and canoeing camera, until retired in favor of an Olympus XA and Minox 35.

Still a great "walk around the city" camera.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin