Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,300   Posts: 1,535,963   Online: 1059

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

Care of screw mounts

It occured to me that screwing in/out a lens in its mount must create micro-abrasion at some point, so I was wondering if it is eventually important to have some care done on either the lens mount or the camera body mount.

Mind you, all my M42 lenses are 30+ years old and all work fine, but perhaps that is because they had been cared for in the past?
    Using film since before it was hip.

"One of the most singular characters of the hyposulphites, is the property their solutions possess of dissolving muriate of silver and retaining it in considerable quantity in permanent solution" — Sir John Frederick William Herschel, "On the Hyposulphurous Acid and its Compounds." The Edinburgh Philosophical Journal, Vol. 1 (8 Jan. 1819): 8-29. p. 11

My APUG Portfolio

Shooter
    35mm
    Without sand or other abrasive it will take an awful lot to put appreciable wear on the mount or lens. The screw mount is slower but it is much more relaible than a bayonet mount. Nreechlock lenses were a sturdy mount also.
    Claire (Ms Anne Thrope is in the darkroom)

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Mind you, all my M42 lenses are 30+ years old and all work fine, but perhaps that is because they had been cared for in the past?[/QUOTE]

I have owned many of my M42 lens for almost 40 years, (bought my first body and lens set in 1969) and I have not taken any unusal measures to care for either the cameras mounts or lens, not one is even close to wearing out. I have dead meters but my camera bodies are still very solid and the lens are just as sharp as they were day I bought them.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Screw mount lenses are in a sense self adjusting since you screw them in until they are snug. Wear is more a problem with bayonet mount lenses which tends to wobble with wear.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Claire Senft
    Without sand or other abrasive it will take an awful lot to put appreciable wear on the mount or lens. The screw mount is slower but it is much more relaible than a bayonet mount. Nreechlock lenses were a sturdy mount also.
    Interesting, I would have thought bayonets were sturdier because of less movements. Is it the complexity of the locking system that is in cause?

"One of the most singular characters of the hyposulphites, is the property their solutions possess of dissolving muriate of silver and retaining it in considerable quantity in permanent solution" — Sir John Frederick William Herschel, "On the Hyposulphurous Acid and its Compounds." The Edinburgh Philosophical Journal, Vol. 1 (8 Jan. 1819): 8-29. p. 11

My APUG Portfolio

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Paul Howell
    I have owned many of my M42 lens for almost 40 years, (bought my first body and lens set in 1969) and I have not taken any unusal measures to care for either the cameras mounts or lens, not one is even close to wearing out. I have dead meters but my camera bodies are still very solid and the lens are just as sharp as they were day I bought them.
    Sums it up for me; I'll take the usual care of my equipment and not worry about anything else. Thanks for confirming.

My APUG Portfolio

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin