Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,911   Posts: 1,556,247   Online: 1057

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Shooter
    35mm

Is it broken really bad.

The owner at my local watering hole today just gave me this older Minolta XG-M heavy silver body camera and lens, said something is maybe broken on it and i can have it, it is a 35MM Manual SLR.

It has a battery in it, though i do not no how Old it is, all the dials on top work, ASA, shutter speed Etc, every thing on the lens works, it opens and closes when you move the Preset Aerture Ring on the lens.

The only thing is when you look thur the Veiwfinder, Yes the lens cap is removed, all you see is Solid Black when you move the Aperture Ring it still is Solid Black.

Do you need a fresh new battery for this to work? The lens is a minolta 50mm 1.2 with a 0 and a slash thur the zero=49mm
    Here are some serial #'s. On top of the passed is # JC11 1 5. on the bottom is JMDC
    On where you mtg the flash is the # 2285746. Hope all of this helps you out, if you need any more information let me no. And the film door closes nice and tight.

Mike.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Mike,

Is the camera SLR mirror visible, in the up position, or is there even a mirror even in the camera?

Rich
    Richard A. Nelridge
    http://www.nelridge.com

Shooter
    Large Format Pan
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Sounds like you might need a fresh battery, though I am not familiar with the camera.
    Diane

Halak 41

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Remove the lens and check the position of the mirror. As said, is it locked in the up position or is it missing. I tend to think the former rather than the latter.

XG-M was a decent camera in its day. It might be a simple repair, worth a couple of sheckels to get it back in the game...although don't start put out too much...$35-50.00 or so will get you a worker on the auction site.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    That lens is great! F1.2!
    Marko Kovacevic
    Blog
    Youtube

DBP

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I have seen other XGs where the mirror locked up when the battery failed. Try a new battery.

Shooter
    35mm
    Rich, i took the lens off and there are two mirrows, on top the one mirrow comes down when i move the level at the bottom but it keeps going up when i release the level, will not stay in the down position.

Mike

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I would be surprised if there are 2 mirrors, but I do not know this particular camera. I would suspect what you think is the second mirror is actually the underside of the camera focusing screen. As others have suggested, I would next try to change the battery. That may solve the problem. If not, the camera may need to at least be checked by a camera repairman. SLR mirrors are very delicate, and unless you are very familiar, I would not want to chance damaging the mirror, mirror assembly and mirror box.

After you replace the battery fire the camera shutter release to see if the mirror will swing down and remain in the normal down position.

Rich
    Richard A. Nelridge
    http://www.nelridge.com

Shooter
    35mm
    Thank You all for your help, it takes two batteries, will do that tomorrow and let you all no what happened.

Mike

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Normally on the XG-M it is the battery that causes this, I used to pick them up on ebay all the time for about $5 put a new set of batteries in them and sell them for about $45 was a great way to pick up pocket cash for a while, when to market was better.

R.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin