Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,960   Posts: 1,558,270   Online: 930

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images

Dead meter on Olympus Trip...

Hi all,

I have an old Olympus Trip 35 tucked away, the problem is that the meter doesn't work. I've read here and there about the selenium failing over time causing the meter also to fail, what I'd like to know is if anyone has a way of bringing this back to life... or if it's curtains for this camera.

Thanks,

Euan

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Euan,

There may be replacement meters still available for the camera. If there are, a repairman may be able to install the replacement in the camera.

Rich
    Richard A. Nelridge
    http://www.nelridge.com

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by eubielicious
    Hi all,

I have an old Olympus Trip 35 tucked away, the problem is that the meter doesn't work. I've read here and there about the selenium failing over time causing the meter also to fail, what I'd like to know is if anyone has a way of bringing this back to life... or if it's curtains for this camera.

Thanks,

Euan
    Euan,
    I'm not sure how much it's worth to you via time or money, but you could get a repair tech to do it or take a crack it yourself. I found a site that shows the process of replacing it with a solar cell on an old Zenit... not quite the Olympus, but it gives you somewhere to start if you're handy with tools.
    Check out this link and scroll down the left until you find Camera Articles and Reapir Info, then choose Zenit Repair Project.
    Best of luck.
    Chris

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Hi Euan,
    It will probably cost more $$ than it's worth to have it repaired. There seem to be lots of them around.
    The Trip syncs. at 1/40 of a second when not set on automatic so you could always follow the sunny 16 / cloudy 8 rule.
    How are the shutter blades? Any oil?

Check out Matts Classic Cameras for lots of info. and links for your Trip.

Cheers,
    Mike

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    I had a feeling that the cost would be prohibitive, given that they seem to be going on ebay for less than a tenner these days. Perhaps I could cannibalise this one and turn it into a pinhole camera?

Euan

Shooter
    Multi Format
    The selenium cell curves around the lens and it would be very hard to form a new one.

The Trip is a very nice pocket camera with a very sharp Zuiko lens. They often appear on ebay.

Shooter
    35mm
    Arghhhh It's a real shame that the Trip appears to have bitten the dust...i really love mine. It's a great little camera.

Mike's tip seems like food for thought ,It'd be worth trying the sunny 16 rule and seeing what the results are like.

I was pleased to pick that up, I'll give it a go myself, thanks Mike!

Shooter
    35mm
    You can buy a brand new meter to use with it.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Chan Tran
    You can buy a brand new meter to use with it.
    This camera uses a very primitive needle capture mechanism to set both the shutter speed and the aperture. Setting it for manual (flash) mode would give you only 1 shutter speed and is not a very satisfactory solution.

Shooter
    35mm
    Checking around on the web and I found that the trip35 has 2 shutter speeds when in auto mode. 1/200 and 1/40. If it's in manual mode only 1/40 speed is possible but the entire range of aperture from 2.8 to 16 can be selected. I don't think this is too much of a loss. There is a web page http://alspix.blog.co.uk/index.php/alspix/2006/02/12/ that show you how to modify the trip35 to select the high speed of 1/200.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin