Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,321   Posts: 1,536,861   Online: 1131

Thread: Mirror Glue?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

Mirror Glue?

I recently picked up a used Minolta 600si and have shot a roll or two through it. During the first couple of frames of a new roll, the mirror became unglued from the armiture that carries it. Aaargh!
    Is the glue I know its got to go back on exactly the same way it came out. My question is: Is there a special glue required?

I'm thinking that something like Gorilla glue would be too heavy and impede the reflex mechanism. Will standard super glue work?

H e l l l l l l l l l p !

Joe

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Joe,

I would email or call a repair company to make sure, the mirror is a pretty sensitive part of the camera..

I am surprised to hear it came loose, I have shot Minoltas for over 25 years now and never had anything like this happen..

But again, it sounds like you need a repair tech to ensure proper alignment and proper weight..

Dave

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Gorilla Glue foams and expands as it dries, so it's not suitable for this application. You can use double-stick tape.

I have applied a very thin layer of Weldbond Contact Cement to both surfaces, let dried for a couple of minutes and then pressed together.

You need to have uniform thickness so that the mirror sits parallel to the surface of the mirror holder.

For TLRs, I've used double-stick tape.

For an SLR mirror that moves, you'll need something a bit stronger, I think. However, you might want to try double-stick tape first and see if it does the trick.

One product that I've used is the tape that is used to apply photos to photo albums. It's inexpensive and very easy to use.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Wierdest thing to ever happen to a camera of mine...

I can see where it was glued on the back of the mirror; four tiny spots of glue.

I just don't want to use something that will react poorly with the materials inside (the cyanide compounds in superglue, for instance) or weigh the mechanism down.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Joeyk,
    I've used pliobond in the past for this purpose. Four dots is all you should need. Usually you can't pry the damn things apart.
    Heavily sedated for your protection.

Shooter
    Large Format
    I think most SLR mirrors are front surface. So the adhesive should not be a concern. Maybe Pliobond?
    —Eric

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Thanks guys!

Any idea where to find pliobond? Hardware store?...oops I mean the big orange place?

Joe

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Hey Joe,
    Yup, hardware store or big orange place should help you. I usually get mine at Ace. You know, the place with the helpful hardware person.
    Heavily sedated for your protection.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    http://www.micro-tools.com

Watch out! Tool fetish may ensue!

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin