Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,873   Posts: 1,520,160   Online: 1003

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Shooter
    Large Format
    Yea, I saw an "old" B&H photo ad listing new FM3A camera bodies for less than $600. Now they are asking (and getting) almost $850 for demo FM3A bodies.......Somebody must be buying film!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Discouragingly, it's more likely that someone is buying collectables, destined to sit in glass cases and be dusted annually. I noticed that problem with F's 10 years ago.

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    its because those lenses can be used for the digital cameras and "everyone" is going digital. canon EF lenses are still a fortune and won't get any cheaper second hand because people are geting the lower end SLRs

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by fparnold
    Discouragingly, it's more likely that someone is buying collectables, destined to sit in glass cases and be dusted annually. I noticed that problem with F's 10 years ago.
    I think you are absolutely right! Many of us who grew up admiring one particular Nikon "flagship" model probably didn't have the cash back then to buy them new. Now, sort of like the middle aged guy buying a classic muscle car, we seem compelled to have those items we desired in our youthfull (broke) years. Maybe it is nostalgia, maybe a way of reliving our happier years. I too am somewhat guilty of buying for the sake of collecting. I still can't bring myself to going out and shooting regularly with my recently purchased near mint F2A with MD2 and 35mm 2.0 Nikon lens.

Just recently I needed another 35mm body, but instead of getting an F5 or F100, I opted for an F3HP with MD4. I paid the same for the F3 that I would have for an F5 or F100, but having been weaned on the F3 in the early 80's, I found that trust in proven technology, rugged simplicity, and nostalgia played a large part in my decision. And yes, I plan to use and abuse this F3HP even though it is also in near mint condition.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by snegron
    And yes, I plan to use and abuse this F3HP even though it is also in near mint condition.
    YES! Collecting camera gear has always seemed so bizarre to me. The only collected gear I respect is the gear retired after it's done its work and is being retired. The gear that has stories and images behind it.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin