Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,591   Posts: 1,545,954   Online: 1261

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Shooter
    35mm

Did Used Nikon Prices Go Up?

I have been comparing prices on older Nikon F and F2 bodies recently and noticed that the prices are higher than usual. Is this my imagination or have they actually gone up in price, especially the F Photomic FTN? Does the same hold true for Nikon parts and service? Will it cost that much more now to repair older Nikon bodies?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    F and F2 prices seem stable to slightly higher to me. prices for all the other bodies seem to be down pretty consistently, though, so I don't care. I like the F3HP a lot better than the F2 or F varieties, and I like the FM2n when it's cold, so I don't care what F2s cost.
    Jim MacKenzie - Regina, Saskatchewan, Canada

A bunch of Nikons; Feds, Zorkis and a Kiev; Pentax 67-II (inherited from my deceased father-in-law); Bronica SQ-A; and a nice Shen Hao 4x5 field camera with 3 decent lenses that needs to be taken outside more. Oh, and as of mid-2012, one of those bodies we don't talk about here.

Favourite film: do I need to pick only one?

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    I haven't checked the Nikon SLR prices on eBay for a few weeks (I have low GAS pressure at present) but I did note that prices for the F3HPs seemed higher than when I purchased three of them between last Summer and this past Spring.

I'm figuring that the "glut" of film-based SLR gear supply that was dumped onto the market by the newspaper media and universities etc. in the "rush to digital" has eased.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I just purchased a back for my Mamiya RB67 and from looking on eBay, I wonder if they haven't started going up as well. This is an interesting possibility. I guess correction has to happen some time to these silly low prices, perhaps it has started.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    If film consumption continues to plummet, these low prices aren't going to be silly anymore.

I'm a great example. I shoot a lot of film, but I already have most of the film gear that I need. If someone dangled, say, a nice Nikon in front of me, it would have to be very cheap to be worth purchasing. I already have an F90 and an F90x that I rarely use... so these cameras are nearly valueless to me.
    Jim MacKenzie - Regina, Saskatchewan, Canada

A bunch of Nikons; Feds, Zorkis and a Kiev; Pentax 67-II (inherited from my deceased father-in-law); Bronica SQ-A; and a nice Shen Hao 4x5 field camera with 3 decent lenses that needs to be taken outside more. Oh, and as of mid-2012, one of those bodies we don't talk about here.

Favourite film: do I need to pick only one?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Yeah, I've been watching for another F5, and am surprised what they're going for in the used market. I got a almost mint one around 3 years ago for $800 with the leader out mod. I also got a 85mm f1.4 and a 28mm f/1.4 used for $1400 around the same time. Now that used 28mm alone is going for $1800+ on auction sites!

I did get my nikon stuff from PJs going canon, so I agree w/ George that they've all made their switchesi. Also, the D2x brought Nikon up to speed in the digital market , so I imagine there are less people selling their Nikon gear to move to Canon and more people buying gear up.

It was great while it lasted!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Actually I just read that the 28mm f/1.4 was discontinued. Wasn't aware of that.

Would explain the price increase.

Shooter
    35mm
    Compared to last year it seems like the older Nikon F and F2 bodies have gone up, especially the FTN. Also, it seems like availability has dropped. I was looking around recently for an F2A body in EX condition or better but couldn't find any. There were plenty of F2A bodies in either bad condition or meter prisms not working. I ended up buying an F3HP in EX condition. Even the F3HP has gone up in price! I saw a near mint one for $800.00, almost the same as a used F5.

Lenses seem to be retaining their value as well. I noticed that the availability of the Nikon 35mm 2.0 AIS has declined. Those available in good condition are almost the same price as a new non-US one.

I think that even though many people are going digital, there are many collecters out there scooping up prime Nikon bodies and lenses. Also, I think that after the big panic that film was going to dissapear, things settled down and people are attracted to the used SLR market prices.

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by GraemeMitchell
    Actually I just read that the 28mm f/1.4 was discontinued. Wasn't aware of that.

Would explain the price increase.
    The 28mm f/1.4 has always cost an arm & leg & a kidney or a lung :P And yes, after Nikon had the bright idea of discontinuing it, it is probably going to cost a lot more RSN.

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by sanderx1
    The 28mm f/1.4 has always cost an arm & leg & a kidney or a lung :P And yes, after Nikon had the bright idea of discontinuing it, it is probably going to cost a lot more RSN.
    As to 28/1.4 availability:

Back in January, Zeiss made a lot of noise (with teaser web posting etc.) about a new line of Nikon-compatible manual lenses. I think a 28mm was "in the works" - not sure of the f/stop max.

So far these lenses have been somewhat of a "phantom" - although they do now have an 85mm and 50mm available ( http://www.zeiss.com/photo ).

As I recall they plan on a total of five lengths. Three are to be made for Zeiss by Cosina in Japan. Two will be made in Germany. I don't remember which was to be where.

Note that the website does indicate additional introductions will be forthcoming at Photokina 2006.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin