Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,501   Posts: 1,543,376   Online: 794

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Salt Lake City, Utah, USA, North America, Third Rock From The Sun....
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Roger Hicks
    Beware of M6ttl and M7 as their shutter speed dial goes backwards as compared with all other Leicas.
    I don't understand the significance of that?
    If I have never used one Leica and come to one of these newer models shouldn't that not be an issue?
    Brian
    ???
    My "Personal" Photography Website...

"Photography is an act of Life" - Maine 2006

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Dear Brian,

No, if you ONLY EVER use M6ttl/M7. Bul all other Leicas (including the later, current, MP and the pre-ttl flash M6) have a shutter speed dial that's clockwise-for-faster.

Leicas tend to be habit forming. I've had the Wetzlar (now Solms) monkey on my back for over 30 years. Mixing 'real' Leicas and the M6ttl/M7 is a recipe for disaster if you use them semi-instinctively as I do.

Cheers,

R.
    Last edited by Roger Hicks; 08-07-2006 at 02:10 PM. Click to view previous post history. Reason: Misspelled Brian

Shooter
    Multi Format
    It depends a bit upon which Leica M, and the age of the camera as to the film advancing effort. In general, if the used camera was well maintained, then it should be fairly smooth. I am a left eye shooter, so with any manual film winding camera I have a tendency to move the camera away from my face while winding the film. On the really old Leica M3 rangefinder, there were some that required two strokes of the film advance lever to advance one frame, so that would be more effort. I had a single stroke M3 that had the film winding mechanism jamb and fail, though in reality it was very old and quite used when I got it; though it is a lesson in that a newer Leica M rangefinder might hold up a bit better.

You might want to look into the Konica Hexar RF on the used market. These have a motor winder built into the body, and take M mount lenses. There was once some controversy about focusing issues, though largely that came from improper judgement of a limited sampling. Basically, any M mount lens should work on a Konica Hexar RF, and you are more likely to make a focus error than the camera . . . that is if you ever are that far off with focus that you could see it in the final images.

The trigger winder from Leica, and the RapidWinder, both allow you to advance the film and keep your eye in the rangefinder window, even if you are a left eye shooter. These are also useful if you have large hands, since it gives the camera a slightly longer gripping surface. Another nice aspect is neither requires batteries.

Ciao!

Gordon Moat
    A G Studio

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Brian,

Here's one person's take on the M series cameras, with a lot of the minutiae that accompanies them. http://cameraquest.com/mguide.htm
    I'd suspect frameline sets, finder magnification, and metering (or lack thereof) are what might make the most difference for you. These things all vary by model and sometimes within models.

My rangefinders and SLRs advance themselves via Pavlovian response. When my brain registers a shutter firing, my right thumb twitches. You rarely see a Leica rangefinder used with a motor winder, as it's somewhat antithetical on a small, quiet camera. You also might find the film advance on a Leica is smoother and requires less effort than you're used to. If you want to get to the next frame a little faster, try the trigger-winders mentioned, but I'd agree with SteveS on doing without initially.

I love a 1:1 finder (shooting with both eyes open and a floating frame), and so am mostly using a Bessa R3A now, with a trigger winder (for speed, stability, and a better fit for my large hands) and assorted lenses from Leica, Minolta, and Cosina-Voigtlander. (The 1:1 finder doesn't have framelines for lenses wider than 40mm.)

I'd suggest reading up a bit on specific features, pondering your expected usage, then asking a few more questions before you take the plunge.

Lee

Salt Lake City, Utah, USA, North America, Third Rock From The Sun....
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Roger Hicks
    Dear Brian,

No, if you ONLY EVER use M6ttl/M7. Bul all other Leicas (including the later, current, MP and the pre-ttl flash M6) have a shutter speed dial that's clockwise-for-faster.

Leicas tend to be habit forming. I've had the Wetzlar (now Solms) monkey on my back for over 30 years. Mixing 'real' Leicas and the M6ttl/M7 is a recipe for disaster if you use them semi-instinctively as I do.

Cheers,

R.
    That's what I thought you'd reply Roger.
    My photography is changing, and I am thinking I would like a Leica, just one body and one maybe two lens.
    I currently have Nikon F100 set up with four different lens and it is VERY HEAVY to carry. Plus I haven't used it all that much in the past year.
    I'd like to think I could sell my entire Nikon rig, there are a few other items I have, and have enough money to buy a Leica(M6TTL perhaps) and a 35MM lens.
    Thanks again Roger!
    Brian
    My "Personal" Photography Website...

"Photography is an act of Life" - Maine 2006

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Dear Brian,

The second lens for me is the 75/2.

Normally, now, I carry ONLY 2 Leicas, usually one mono. one colour, 75/2 and 35/1.4, swap as needed. Sometimes one body fast film. one slow.

But if I were you I'd go for the pre-ttl M6. You still have TTL metering for ambient light, just not flash, and it's completely cross-compatible with current MP and all earlier Leicas.

Of course I'm extremely biased...

Cheers,

R.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Leicas do generate a lot of emotion and bias don't they...
    I have an M6TTL which I love using. One advantage that Roger omitted to mention about the M6TTL is that the shutter speed dial was changed so that you move it in the direction shown by the meter arrows in the viewfinder to get correct exposure. This is a real ergonomic improvement IMHO. I also use a 46 year old M2. Again a lovely camera to use. I have no problems swapping from one to the other.

You pay your money and you make your choice. Beware, Leicas can be addictive...

Good luck finding something that suits you.
    Mark Pope
    Swindon, Wilts
    UK

http://www.monomagic.co.uk

Shooter
    Large Format
    I shoot an MP. I love the sise and how quiet it is, I would not put a winder on it. There is also somthing about being the only one at any gathering winding with your thumb. In my opinion a motordrive on a Leica is like a lift kit on a Porsche.
    DIGITAL IS FOR THOSE AFRAID OF THE DARK.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Oh and the modern winder-M is nice and compact. It works well, but is expensive (as are most things with a red dot on them).
    Mark Pope
    Swindon, Wilts
    UK

http://www.monomagic.co.uk

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Dear Mark,

Spot on! The M6ttl/M7 is indeed more logical.

But I really can't see how the hell you switch from one to t'other. If only the 1924 Leica had gone the same way...

Cheers,

N'dongo N'tuitif

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin