Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,699   Posts: 1,549,139   Online: 1146

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Roger Hicks

But I really can't see how the hell you switch from one to t'other.
    Hi Roger,
    <cheekysoandso>
    It's probably an age thing...
    </cheekysoandso>
    But seriously, I tend not to use both at the same time and when I do I'm using either a Voigtlander VC meter or a recently acquired Meter MR. In both cases, it's necessary to take the camera away from your eye to set the camera. The biggest issue is forgetting that the (VC) meter isn't coupled to the camera at all and forgetting to change a setting after carefully metering a scene. There's been the odd D'OH! moment because of this! This is less of a problem with the MR - only the aperture to forget
    Mark Pope
    Swindon, Wilts
    UK

http://www.monomagic.co.uk

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    As you can see, you'll get about as many answers as there are people around here... My take: I have a IIIf and an M4. I've never really warmed up to the M4 ergonomics. Changing shutterspeeds while having the camera up to your eye is not very easy; a too small knob too far in on the camera - that seems to work better on the CL, M5 and the M6 ttl. The wind-on lever works okay but I have known better ones, it's a bit iffy to "find" with my fingers. The rewind crank has an annoying tendency to "rebound" if my grip on the smallish crank slips. Build quality is fine and well up to serious use (which mine has seen, definitely!). Compared to the IIIf the build quality is so-so, but that camera is a very different kind of rangefinder and possibly "an acquired taste".

Viewfinder is bright and focussing spot is easy to see, even with glasses, at least using the 50, 90 and 135 focal lengths. At 35 mm it would be a bit of hit and miss for me, but using the full viewfinder should work. I can really understand why the camera is such a good tool for the "decisive moment". I am using a Summicron DR, 50 mm focal length with it. Wonderful optic but it really negates my conception of the RF as I see it - it's too heavy to walk around with.

A camera is a highly personal thing, and if possible, get your hands on and testing it out is highly advisable. In hindsight the M4, for me is "almost good" and I bought it unseen via internet. Maybe an M2 or a M5 would have been a better camera for me. I will have to check that, next time I am in the camera store.

If you need to do series of action photos, I think the Abrahamsson Rapidwinder may fit the bill quite nicely.
    “Do your work, then step back. The only path to serenity.” - Lao Tzu

Shooter
    35mm
    As a longtime Nikon & then Leica shooter - get the M6 & a 35 or 50 Summicron & be done.

Then decide whether or not you want an M winder/Leicavit, etc. + any other lenses.

Leica is not cheap but it's about the safest line to buy into & resell if it's not your cup of tea as the resale prices are solid.

Roger - I understand your issues with the rotational directions - With the last four or five cameras I've had I keep reaching for the "missing" shutter speed dial on my Nikon F3 that I no longer have - like an appendage that was removed you still expect it to be there & to be the same way ...

Lastly - Not sure if anyone else mentioned it but the aperture ring turns opposite of what you are used to on Nikon lenses - I believe only Pentax 67 & perhaps others turn the same way as Nikons do - took me a long time to get used to that once shooting with a Leica (or any other maker)

Good Luck

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Lee Hamiel

Snip

Lastly - Not sure if anyone else mentioned it but the aperture ring turns opposite of what you are used to on Nikon lenses - I believe only Pentax 67 & perhaps others turn the same way as Nikons do - took me a long time to get used to that once shooting with a Leica (or any other maker)

Good Luck
    Hi Lee,

Don't forget, that Nikon was the best copy of the Zeiss Ikon. As a result aperture adjustment and unless I am mistaken the focus was copied from the Zeiss camera.

For those of us that had switched from Canon to Leica we had an easier time. Canon was the best copy of the Leica and they copied the aperture adjustment and I believe focusing direction from Leica.

Rich
    Richard A. Nelridge
    http://www.nelridge.com

Shooter
    35mm
    Rich:

Also - If I'm correct didn't Nikon make a lens or two for Canon way back as well?

If so - curious as to the direction of all

Interesting how the direction some of these threads take

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    I'll take a single stroke M3 over any of them.

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Quote Originally Posted by Lee Hamiel
    Roger - I understand your issues with the rotational directions - With the last four or five cameras I've had I keep reaching for the "missing" shutter speed dial on my Nikon F3 that I no longer have - like an appendage that was removed you still expect it to be there & to be the same way ...
    Dear Lee,

The missing limb -- the perfect image!

I shall steal it. (The image, not the limb).

Cheers,

Roger

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark Pope
    The biggest issue is forgetting that the (VC) meter isn't coupled to the camera at all and forgetting to change a setting after carefully metering a scene. There's been the odd D'OH! moment because of this! This is less of a problem with the MR - only the aperture to forget
    Dear Mark,

I know exactly what you maen. Been there; failed to do exactly the same thing.

Mind you, I can forget that my SPOTMETER isn't coupled...

Cheers,

Abstemius von Knackerthrasher

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    The M6 is really tough to beat: new, large supply, great value.
    Wonderful camera.

Mine is the .85 finder, I use it mainly with a 35mm lens.

Please give it a try without the winder. You can always add one, or the Abrahamsson Rapidwinder.

The cool accessory, however, is the 1.25x eyepiece magnifier.

In any case, have fun !
    "One of the painful things about our time is that those who feel certainty are stupid,
    and those with any imagination and understanding are filled with doubt and indecision"

-Bertrand Russell

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Roger

Are you calling the 35/1.4 and 75/2 a good combination ?

[SIZE=4]YES ! YES ! YES ! YES ! YES ! YES ![/SIZE]

df

"One of the painful things about our time is that those who feel certainty are stupid,
    and those with any imagination and understanding are filled with doubt and indecision"

-Bertrand Russell

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin