Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,932   Posts: 1,585,462   Online: 1024

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345
    Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    A good motoroized Leica with a 35mm lens is called the Contax G2

"What Would Zeus Do?"
    KBPhotoRantPhotoPermitAPUG flickr Robot

Shooter
    35mm
    I have a Leica M6 titanium with the titanium 35mm Summilux lens. I love it. I originally sought to buy an M7 but I did not like the prospect of relying on battery power for shutter operation. With the M6, I have the use of all shutter speeds as it is a fully mechanical camera. The battery is only used for the lightmeter. The M7 uses an electronic shutter that needs the battery to work except for 2 speeds which are mechanical.

Shooter
    35mm RF
    One of the best and most afordable used Leica is the M4-P. Has all the framelines of the M6 minus the internal metering. The other great Leica is the M6 Classic, with internal metering.
    The M7 isn't a "good used" Leica because it still commands high prices. It does work w/out batteries at 60 & 125 speeds.

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Quote Originally Posted by 35mmDelux
    One of the best and most afordable used Leica is the M4-P. Has all the framelines of the M6 minus the internal metering. The other great Leica is the M6 Classic, with internal metering.
    The M7 isn't a "good used" Leica because it still commands high prices. It does work w/out batteries at 60 & 125 speeds.
    Well, I've got an M4-P, and have had since I bought it new 25 years ago. Disadvantages: viewfinder flares out so badly I used to use an M2 instead under certain conditions; black chrome finish wore quickly and looked (still looks) like hell; 75mm frame barely usable. Advantages over M2: does have 75mm (and 28mm) frames; accepts winder. Neutral: rewind crank faster but less strong (I once had to repair mine with a Leatherman in the Julian Alps).

Cheers,

R.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    I have owned around 10 or 12 Leicas, from IIIa to M3. I had great faith in the brand until I bought a M3 around 12 years ago. This was working great but was really in need of a service, so it went for one to Leica UK. They charged me over £400 for this, insisting on replacing the shutter curtains. It took 3 return trips to the workshop for them to get the camera working properly (the first time I got it back, the shutter seized up after three shots), when the camera was finally working again it became apparent that the silvering on the rangefinder prisms was not too hot (camera hard to focus), furthermore after quite a bit of experimenting, I decided I did not like the contrast levels of modern Leica lenses (I had a new f2/50 Summicron and f2.8/28 and 90 Elmarits), so got out of Leica and have never gone back (except to the half-way house which is Voigtländer). I freely admit that Voigtländer is not Leica, in terms of build quality this does not bother me, as I am not likely to use my Voigtländers hard enough to wear them out, in terms of noise level there is of course a noticeable difference, if being quiet/near-silent was important to me, I'd have to go Leica again. I liked the 1960s Summicron lenses best, if I could travel back in time to the 60s, I'd probably buy a Leica M2 with 3 Summicrons (35, 50, 90). On the other hand, the center-weighted metering in a Voigtländer I find much more practical.
    Ultimately, I think the people who buy Leica now simply feel they must have one, the decision is more emotional than technical. I think few people who do decide to buy one regret it!

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin