Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,474   Posts: 1,570,980   Online: 831

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by BruceN
    I am NOT a collector. I NEED all of these cameras. Now, quick, someone help me convince my wife.

Bruce
    My wife stopped beliving that line after about the 12th camera body...

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by snegron
    My wife stopped beliving that line after about the 12th camera body...

Same here. She is very reasonable about it though. The last camera body and lens I bought (number 14) I told her I bought it, "Cuz I wanted it and it is a very cool camera". She nodded and went back to the book she was reading. Life is good.
    http://www.apug.org/gallery/showgallery.php?cat=500&ppuser=10716
    http://home.comcast.net/~rem700a/westviews.html

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Hey, I refuse to take responsibility for my actions! It's not my fault that Kodak made so damned many different folders or Yashica made so many different variations on the Electro 35 and Lynx themes! The absolutely mint Kodak Vigilant Six-20 that just arrived is absolutely necessary for my work. And, maybe tomorrow, the postman will bring the bring the Kodak Pocket 1-A I won off eBay. Really, it's necessary for my work! I'm not a collector. I'm strong. I have will power......gotta get back to eBay and see how my bidding is doing......

Doug

Shooter
    35mm
    I've just auctioned off a used shooting lens, and I can't wait to use it!

I don't collect anything but stock up the necessary items...

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by copake_ham
    I agree!

I use all of my cameras. I'm not like those Japanese collectors who shrink wrap them and put them in the deep freeze. And only fondle them once a decade!

Besides, I need that room in the deep freeze to store my film.
    Really? You are not making this up? Who does this, and is this a big thing?
    Patrick

something witty and profound needs to be inserted here...

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    I put it in perspective for my sweetie. Some guys collect vintage cars. All my gear in total wouldn't come close to the downpayment on a a restored '57 Chevy.
    "While you're out there smashing the state, don't forget to keep a smile on your lips and a song in your heart!"

Shooter
    Multi Format
    If most people who collected cameras just left them on a shelf, I would agree with you. But, as you can see from the replies, most people continue to use old cameras. I enjoy using old cameras and making prints from the negatives.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Gerald Koch
    If most people who collected cameras just left them on a shelf, I would agree with you. But, as you can see from the replies, most people continue to use old cameras. I enjoy using old cameras and making prints from the negatives.
    Gerald, what you say may be true of the people who post here. But I'm acquainted with a few, um, very special people who have many more cameras than they can possibly use. Several are serious collectors with more than "MORE" in mine, others are serious accumulators who just want "MORE."

What I don't understand is why I should care about other' motivations or practices. A accumulates cameras, doesn't use them. B accumulates cameras, uses them. As long as both are happy, so what?

Cheers,

Dan

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I'm happy, Dan - but my wife is becoming very cruel and sarcastic.

"Don't you have a dozen of those already?"

Same problem with hand and machine tools...
    Tom Hoskinson

Everything is analog - even digital :D

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Pragmatist
    Really? You are not making this up? Who does this, and is this a big thing?
    Well I may have exaggerated about the deep freeze - but yes, as I understand it, there are big-time collectors (mainly in Asia) who buy rare or pristine classic gear and then shrink wrap it for protection.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin