Switch to English Language Passer en langue franšaise Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 74,615   Posts: 1,647,672   Online: 1034
      
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Results 21 to 30 of 33
  1. #21
    Steve Smith's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Ryde, Isle of Wight
    Shooter
    Medium Format
    Posts
    8,852
    Images
    122
    Quote Originally Posted by copake_ham
    Well I may have exaggerated about the deep freeze - but yes, as I understand it, there are big-time collectors (mainly in Asia) who buy rare or pristine classic gear and then shrink wrap it for protection.

    A similar thing happened in the mid 80's with metal body National guitars. Dire Straits put one on the cover of an album and people started collecting them including Japanese collectors who had them as display items in perspex cabinets. The prices rocketed out of the reach of those interested in actually playing them and have never really dropped again.

    However, most old cameras were more of a mass produced consumer item than National guitars were so the fact that some people buy them as display or investment items should not really affect the price or availability to the rest of us (hopefully!).


    Steve.
    "People who say things won't work are a dime a dozen. People who figure out how to make things work are worth a fortune" - Dave Rat.

  2. #22

    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Location
    san jose, ca
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Posts
    2,569
    Images
    77
    Quote Originally Posted by Dan Fromm
    Gerald, what you say may be true of the people who post here. But I'm acquainted with a few, um, very special people who have many more cameras than they can possibly use. Several are serious collectors with more than "MORE" in mine, others are serious accumulators who just want "MORE."

    What I don't understand is why I should care about other' motivations or practices. A accumulates cameras, doesn't use them. B accumulates cameras, uses them. As long as both are happy, so what?

    Cheers,

    Dan
    It's pretty simple. If you have more cameras than me, you have a serious problem. If you have less, you are to be pitied.

    And the number is...

    37 (with 2 more on the way for kite flying).

    tim in san jose
    Where ever you are, there you be.

  3. #23
    snegron's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Hot, Muggy, Florida
    Shooter
    35mm
    Posts
    808
    Quote Originally Posted by thebanana
    I put it in perspective for my sweetie. Some guys collect vintage cars. All my gear in total wouldn't come close to the downpayment on a a restored '57 Chevy.
    That is my second favorite line as well! I also put it in another perspective, "Honey, at least I am collecting Nikons instead of Leicas. Think of all the money we are saving."

  4. #24

    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Japan
    Shooter
    35mm
    Posts
    1,954
    Quote Originally Posted by copake_ham
    Well I may have exaggerated about the deep freeze - but yes, as I understand it, there are big-time collectors (mainly in Asia) who buy rare or pristine classic gear and then shrink wrap it for protection.
    There's a reason to protect the gears from a fugus attack. The wet season from late May to mid July is really wet, and the humidity level stays way over 60, 70 percent all the time. One or two years won't hurt much, but any longer than that, yes, definitely.

  5. #25

    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Japan
    Shooter
    35mm
    Posts
    1,954
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve Smith
    A similar thing happened in the mid 80's with metal body National guitars. Dire Straits put one on the cover of an album and people started collecting them including Japanese collectors who had them as display items in perspex cabinets. The prices rocketed out of the reach of those interested in actually playing them and have never really dropped again.

    However, most old cameras were more of a mass produced consumer item than National guitars were so the fact that some people buy them as display or investment items should not really affect the price or availability to the rest of us (hopefully!).


    Steve.
    Yeah, every foreign product is a potential rare collectable item in this culture, which kills me. Even mass-produced low-end domestic cameras are so, too.

    You can see a lot of blogs by those collectors who show their test results from their book knowledges, etc. They never fire the shutters of their vitage cameras because that will decrease the values.

  6. #26

    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Japan
    Shooter
    35mm
    Posts
    1,954
    One good example is Canonet GIII cameras: The used black bodies run for a couple of hundred bucks each in the Japanese market.

  7. #27
    Black Dog's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Location
    I've been everywhere ooooohhh yeaahhhh still I'm standing tall.
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Posts
    2,805

    How can they look into my eyes, and still they don't believe me?

    I only own 5 cameras :rolleyes: .........I humbly apologise and promise to buy more ASAP
    "He took to writing poetry and visiting the elves: and though many shook their heads and touched their foreheads and said 'Poor old Baggins!' and though few believed any of his tales, he remained very happy till the end of his days, and those were extraordinarily long "- JRR Tolkien, ' The Hobbit '.

  8. #28
    snegron's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Hot, Muggy, Florida
    Shooter
    35mm
    Posts
    808
    Quote Originally Posted by firecracker
    Yeah, every foreign product is a potential rare collectable item in this culture, which kills me. Even mass-produced low-end domestic cameras are so, too.

    You can see a lot of blogs by those collectors who show their test results from their book knowledges, etc. They never fire the shutters of their vitage cameras because that will decrease the values.
    But on flip side, you might say that collectors in Japan have exquisite taste and that we Americans are just jealous becuse we lost the bid on ebay for that F2AS...

  9. #29

    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Japan
    Shooter
    35mm
    Posts
    1,954
    Quote Originally Posted by snegron
    But on flip side, you might say that collectors in Japan have exquisite taste and that we Americans are just jealous becuse we lost the bid on ebay for that F2AS...
    Yeah, that, too. But seriously speaking, because of the high-price settings, many people have no way of having access to using common photographic tools and other things in this country.

    Photo students (not me) seem to be the victims of this culture when they want to try out many things.

  10. #30

    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Japan
    Shooter
    35mm
    Posts
    1,954
    Some things go on a upscale when they cross cultural and economical borders. The best of the irony I can think of is cream Cheese, "Philadelphia Cheese." I thought it was just like any other cheese product when I was living in the U.S. But over here, it's something, and how it's being advertised is pretty laughable.

    I like it, though.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast


 

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:



Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  Ś   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin