Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,229   Posts: 1,532,842   Online: 956

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Shooter
    Multi Format

Nikon FG manual shutter glitch

OK, I bragged about buying this camera on this very forum, and now I've got a problem.

I've pushed two rolls of film through the camera, but I only used the A and P modes, since they were the aspects I wanted to try out. While installing a new roll, I noticed that the shutter speed seemed off. I'd choosen a fast shutter speed to wind the film on the take-up spool.

I unloaded the camera and tested the shutter on my Metrolux II; all manual speeds were within specs for the M90 speed. Including B. I played around with the shutter speed dial and got the camera to work from 1 to about 125. After that, all speeds are the same, and sometimes I loose the slower speeds, too.

Has anyone out there any hope to offer? Is this little beauty toast?

Thanks in advance,
    K.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    I'm not sure if this is connected but I have an FG and I know that it does not start to meter correctly until it has a film in place and it is wound onto No. 1 on the exposure counter. I don't know why it does this as it prevents you from testing the metering without a film present. It shouldn't have anything to do with the manual speeds but then again, it might.

Steve.
    "People who say things won't work are a dime a dozen. People who figure out how to make things work are worth a fortune" - Dave Rat.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    One other thing (sorry if this is obvious). Although they are manual speeds, only the M90 will work without a battery, the rest need the battery for timing. If your battery is on it's way out, this could be causing problems.

Steve.
    "People who say things won't work are a dime a dozen. People who figure out how to make things work are worth a fortune" - Dave Rat.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I wish it were the battery. Thanks, Steve. I seem to be ok if I don't need to go faster than 1/125.

K.

Shooter
    35mm
    I don't know about the FG but with the F3 and if you have the back open, shutter speed is only possible from 1 to 1/80. In order to get other speed you must close the back and advance to frame 1 or using something to push the switch to fool the camera into thinking that the back is closed.

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    As far as I understand, you've had a few rolls thru it and it only uses 1/90 speed. I can't say if it's toast or not... Could be some circuitry in-camera (if so, toast) or something to do with the actual shutter itself (less toasty). I understand as you have done two rolls with A and P and then a dry-run test without film and found the speeds off? Test with a roll of film and use the speeds to see how that comes out.

I suppose you know about this overview: http://www.mir.com.my/rb/photography...0/fg/index.htm
    “Do your work, then step back. The only path to serenity.” - Lao Tzu

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Kobin
    I wish it were the battery. Thanks, Steve. I seem to be ok if I don't need to go faster than 1/125

I didn't really think it would be. I will have a play with mine tonight to see if it does anything similar with the back open and also close but with no film in.

Steve.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Me again!!

If you look at the link Jerevan has supplied you will find another link to a PDF of the instruction manual. In the loading film/winding on section is this text:

Note: Do not take pictures prior to frame 1 as the meter does not function until the counter reaches 1. Up to 1, the 1/60 and 1/125 LEDs in the viewfinder will flash showing the shutter is automatically set at 1/90 sec.

Although you may not need the meter in manual, it still shows the exposure relative to the aperture you have set in the viefinder so perhaps there is some link between this prior to frame one setting and perhaps a limit up to 1/90 or 1/125 at this point.

Steve.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    It is possible that you're having an electronics failure. I have an FE that has a very similar problem. Some of the faster speeds don't work correctly but slower ones do.

Luckily, the FG is a pretty inexpensive body so if I'm right, you can get another one without spending a lot of money. Hopefully I'm wrong, though.
    Jim MacKenzie - Regina, Saskatchewan, Canada

A bunch of Nikons; Feds, Zorkis and a Kiev; Pentax 67-II (inherited from my deceased father-in-law); Bronica SQ-A; and a nice Shen Hao 4x5 field camera with 3 decent lenses that needs to be taken outside more. Oh, and as of mid-2012, one of those bodies we don't talk about here.

Favourite film: do I need to pick only one?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Thanks, all. I appreciate your suggestions. Just went out and shot a roll at manual speeds. Everthing seems to work as expected until 1/125, and then all speeds are the same to 1/1000. Even in A and P modes, when the program calls for a faster than 1/125 shutter, I only get the default 1/90. Not so bad, if I shoot slow film.

Thanks again.

K.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin