Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,302   Posts: 1,536,182   Online: 650

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

Nikon FA - malfunction

I'm sure many people are aware that with the likes of the FE/FE2 and the FA, which have electronically controlled shutters, if the battery fails normally the mirror will stick in the up position and to get it back you have to switch to the "M250" or "B" setting - which are mechanical.

The problem I have is that it appears with this FA that the whole sequence has stopped part way through the firing of the shutter - the shutter is partly opened and the mirror is in the up position.

Switching to mechanical 250 or B makes no difference - I guess because it is literally half way through the shutter firing sequence.

Just wondering if anyone else has experienced this, with a FE or FE2 either.

Matt

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    I haven't experienced this particular problem with an FA. Have you tried a fresh set of batteries? I hate to say this, but if installing a new set of batteries doesn't solve the problem, it might be time to take the camera to a repair shop...

Good luck...

- Robert
    "Photograph more, worry less"

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    OK - went to my repair guy today and it is simple to fix (for him) - the shutter needs re-tensioning and he is going to service it too.

It will cost £60 - so the camera will owe me £97 including the purchase cost, which I thnk is pretty good for a fully serviced FA considering I regluarly see them advertised by dealers at £250.

So really pleased about that!

Matt

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Glad to hear it's something easy (and relatively inexpensive) to repair.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Yeah - I was going to say (before I read the solution) that it sounded like a jam, or at least a mechanical issue, rather than an issue of 'juice'.

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin