Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,825   Posts: 1,581,979   Online: 858

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave Parker
    this is not normal and normally means the intergrity of the lens has been comprimise,
    Dave
    I don't think this is entirely the case here. As they are zooms there has to be ingress and egress of air to accommodate the varying separation of the lens cells. I'd be a lot more worried with primes.

I keep most of my more valuable kit in a humidity-controlled cabinet (Wonderful Dry Case Company). An expensive solution, but right at the moment it's probably got $20,000+ worth of kit in it. Two Alpas is a good start...

Cheers,

Roger

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Hey Roger, yeah that would make sense re the zoom's, the other photog on the night was telling me how they're not 100% sealed and the fact that they went from freezing in my bag (its winter in NZ) to steaming hot could've been a factor.. I'm really hoping for this but I've found some silica at home so I've stuck that in amongst the gear.

I'd be keen as to leave the 24-70 with canon to get a clean and re calibrate but I'm off to NYC in early sept and can't risk them taking too long to get it back to me...
    www.detunephotography.com

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Remember that silicone needs to be reactivated when it is saturated. The advice is to heat it on an iron plate or shovel in the oven. The recommendation for iron is probably because you get a reaction with light alloy: I just don't know. Some silica gel has an indicator built in -- one colour for wet, one for dry, usually pinky-purple for wet, blue for dry.

I really wouldn't worry about the streaming up all that much. I've had similar problems from time to time with various lenses and never felt the need to do anything. It's long-term storage in a humid environment that promotes fungus. Storage in a ZipLoc or similar sealed bag, with a silica gel bag or (as Claire suggested) oven-dried rice in a little cloth sachet, is probably the best when you're not using the kit for any length of time, or when you are travelling.

Cheers,

R.

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Thanks Roger, I hope your right still, your words are putting me my mind to rest a bit, stressful time for me... see what happens!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Roger Hicks
    I don't think this is entirely the case here. As they are zooms there has to be ingress and egress of air to accommodate the varying separation of the lens cells. I'd be a lot more worried with primes.

I keep most of my more valuable kit in a humidity-controlled cabinet (Wonderful Dry Case Company). An expensive solution, but right at the moment it's probably got $20,000+ worth of kit in it. Two Alpas is a good start...

Cheers,

Roger
    Roger,

The information I posted came directly from our Canon represenative when I worked at the local pro photo store, he told us that anytime a L lens exhibits moisture problems it needs to be sent to Canon to be repaired because of a breech in the seals.

Take it for what it is, I have a tendancy to believe the people who make the lens over the speculation of those shooting them, I have shot the L lenses in temps down to 40 below in the rockies here, and gone it an out of warming shacks during the winter and never had any moisture problems.

Dave

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Fair enough, Dave -- though to be honest, I'd trust your anecdotal evidence a lot further than I'd trust the average rep. Some are technically knowledgeable; some aren't. Like the Jaguar tech rep who tried to persuade me that a V6 is inherently smoother than a straight six.

Cheers,

Roger

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave Parker
    Roger,

The information I posted came directly from our Canon represenative when I worked at the local pro photo store, he told us that anytime a L lens exhibits moisture problems it needs to be sent to Canon to be repaired because of a breech in the seals.

Dave
    Hey Dave, hope you don't mind the question... Seal repair is going to be painful to my wallet isn't it?

I just dont understand how 2 of my L lens could do this. One maybe but 2 of them seems odd. I kinda hoped I'd pay the cost of an L to have less issues!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by detune
    Hey Dave, hope you don't mind the question... Seal repair is going to be painful to my wallet isn't it?

I just dont understand how 2 of my L lens could do this. One maybe but 2 of them seems odd. I kinda hoped I'd pay the cost of an L to have less issues!

Hi,

My suggestion would be to email canon service describe whats happening and let them tell you what you need to do, that way you know for sure..and they should be able to let you know approx what a repair would cost, as Roger said the rep may have been blowing smoke...so it would be best to get the info straight from the horses mouth...

Dave

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    sounds like good advice, might have to give them a call on Monday...

Thanks all for your help

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin